*.com has been registered!

Oh... I haven't been a fan of VeriSign at all.. Are they allowed to do it like that? It sounds that more likely this would affect .com domains registered through them only though.

How can ICANN give someone like VeriSign the right to virtually hijack & use those domains?

Verisign are going against their own T&C on this one - and are annoying alot of the hosting community as spam filters are resolving the domain thus running the risk of having spam that should have been blocked entering your network.

I know of a few hosts that are fighting back and are black listing verisign mail servers.etc to try and get them to back down.

There is also a hell of alot of bad press about this - so hopefully they will back down.

Hopefully the internet council will repremand verisign and threaten to take away their .net registry status (like they did with .org).

I have an idea. How about everyone would just phone their toll-free and complain on a daily basis. Their phone bill alone would make them think twice.

Artashes said:
I have an idea. How about everyone would just phone their toll-free and complain on a daily basis. Their phone bill alone would make them think twice.
People are doing that too :)

Just applied the bind patch on all of our servers to block out the site finder nonsense from our network :)

Verisign hardly ever listen to ICANN unless threatened with something big, so I doubt they will stop the service, despite the fact that they are receiveing so much bad press over it.

Wow...this is some crazy stuff...it'll be interesting to see how this all plays out.

What exactly is the purpose of ICANN if Verisign is allowed to do something like this?

EvilHaider said:
What exactly is the purpose of ICANN if Verisign is allowed to do something like this?

This is the paradox the Internet community has been trying to figure out for a long long long... very long time now.

It seems all that ICANN are good at these days is sending emails to you regarding domains that alledgedly have incorrect WhoIs info (recieved 2 yesterday alone) and im yet to find a domain that they have pointed out that is actually in error (look at the whois on agcc.org for example).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zentekinfosoft