Colocation Hosting

alex0

Hi,
I am new to this hosting industry, can anyone please explain me what is COLOCATION HOSTING? I know a little bit about the same since i searched on google for it, but I am still not sure about it in detail. It would be nice if any one could help me out in this topic. :help:

Thanks..!! :)

Basically you are renting a space in a data center where you can host your own equipment. Unlike renting a dedicated server, you will have to provide all hardware, software and in most cases any technical support - although most data centers offer hands on help, but at a price..

Colocation is VERY different from dedicated servers. Most people getting started in colocation don't realize the sheer difference. With a dedicated server the host is responsible for anything local, with colocation you're just renting space, power, and a network drop. Anything outside of that is your responsibility, providing the hardware, doing hardware diagnostics and repair, etc. Now, some facilities can help with 24/7 on-site staffing, but be prepared to pay for them to do the work for you. I would highly recommend getting some sort of remote management for colocated systems, such as DRAC, IPMI, etc.

Colocation is simple - client provides the hardware and the data center provider provides rack space, power and Internet bandwidth. Some colocation providers will offer 24x7 access and managed services as well.

Honestly... I would not believe if someone who's signature says "VPS Hosting : KVM VPS powered by Virtualizor" does not know what "Colocation" means. The guys know "Virtualizor", a relatively new app to manage virtualized environments, but does not have an idea what does "Colocation" mean.... give me a break.

It is not a good way to create posting history...

Colocation is really cool but look how expensive it is to keep it up and running and takes a lot of time to just set it up. If colocation server is your product then your set, you just need customers. It look really good but ask your self if its worth the risk. If you decide to actually do it, let me know i would love to help out. good luck

Honestly... I would not believe if someone who's signature says "VPS Hosting : KVM VPS powered by Virtualizor" does not know what "Colocation" means. The guys know "Virtualizor", a relatively new app to manage virtualized environments, but does not have an idea what does "Colocation" mean.... give me a break.

It is not a good way to create posting history...

not surprise. when i start rent server to provide shared host and virtual host, i do not know what is the colocation too. May be he know what is colocation, but he might not the intial cost to be involved when he migrate all of his server content into his own infra.

not surprise. when i start rent server to provide shared host and virtual host, i do not know what is the colocation too. May be he know what is colocation, but he might not the intial cost to be involved when he migrate all of his server content into his own infra.

Come on… just go read the original thread once again :)

Colocation is space renting in a datacenter. You place your server to the company's datacenter and they provide you with bandwidth and IPs. Even though you are responsible for managing and repair your server