.co.cc shutting up shop

easyhostmedia

Just a heads up.

.co.cc have stopped anyone registering any new .co.cc domain names and they are in the process of closing down totally so any current .co.cc domains will stop working.

I found this out through one of my clients who uses a .co.cc domain.

Sounds about right. Google pretty much de-indexed any domain with a .co.cc back in 2011 as so many of them were either scammers, phishers, malware, hacks.. etc etc...

Sounds about right. Google pretty much de-indexed any domain with a .co.cc back in 2011 as so many of them were either scammers, phishers, malware, hacks.. etc etc...

yup but their is still others out thier
cz.cc
cu.cc

along with many more, so the scammers etc just moved to others under the .cc TLD

I knew that Google had de-indexed them in 2011, but had read most were re-indexed later. Any references out there? :help:

Well, this is terrible news for the people who used co.cc domains for personal blogs and free websites related to non-profit organizations. I know that a lot of the co.cc websites were associated with spam and bad content, but I personally knew quite a few website owners that used this simply because they couldn't afford to pay for a domain.

I personally knew quite a few website owners that used this simply because they couldn't afford to pay for a domain.

I have a couple of clients who use .co.cc domains for legit forums. these client have now just registers .uk domains. personally even for personal sites i find it hard that a person cannot afford £5 ($10) for a domain. if they get a .uk domain it will cover 2 yrs registration.

All them co.cc domains are a goner now.
Yeah because I think they cannot shoulder offering FREE domains too much longer, since they also pay for their time and servers.

All them co.cc domains are a goner now.
Yeah because I think they cannot shoulder offering FREE domains too much longer, since they also pay for their time and servers.

basically they were all just sub domains and as they were mainly used for Spamming/Phishing, i think the authorities finally took action

If people want to simply open blogs, they can always use web 2.0 websites like blogspot, wordpress, tumblr, typepad.

If you are looking for a long term business which can give you some recurring income, you should never invest time and resources on a free domain.

Godaddy is not gonna rank co.cc domains as these are free domains and most people use these kind of domains to link back to their main websites which are .com or .net or .org

Godaddy is not gonna rank co.cc domains as these are free domains and most people use these kind of domains to link back to their main websites which are .com or .net or .org

Google wont do this as .co.cc domains are no longer. i cant understand why prople would get these so called free domains and then point them to their main domain/website.

this is like a business having a .com or .co.uk domain and website, but then advertise with a .gmail email address, which looks unprofessional and especially when then have a .com or .co.uk domain they could set up an email address with.

I wonder why they shut down, was it purely lack of funds? Surely some people donated small amounts? I remember doing so when I was younger as I used a lot of .co.cc domains.

I actually only found out they shut down a few weeks back when I had a client asking for a free domain.

I wonder why they shut down, was it purely lack of funds? Surely some people donated small amounts? I remember doing so when I was younger as I used a lot of .co.cc domains.

I actually only found out they shut down a few weeks back when I had a client asking for a free domain.

No idea why they shut down, maybe they were forced to close for excessive spamming/phishing from their domains.

no idea why people want free domains when you can get 1 for as little as £3 a year

but if you have people asking for these type of free domains they look at uni.me

.co.cc was a declining service since Google really hit them hard.

Though I am surprised it is closing, unfortunate to all those users still using a .co.cc for legit websites.

Though I am surprised it is closing,

It is not closing, It has already closed. yes de-indexing from google would not have helped, but i think the fact they were mainly being used by spammers and phishing the authorities had a part in them closing. We had several clients who used them for sites on our servers, but when we got wind of this happening we contacted these clients and gave them deals on .uk domains and had 95% of clients transferred over to new domains before they closed down, used backups to transfer the remaining 5%.
I would also say if anyone is serious about their websites (personal or business) then best off paying £3 a year for a proper domain and getting paid hosting, rather than a free domain and free hosting.

Last edited:
All of free domains like CO.CC are totally waste. Please don't waste your time and energy with this free domains.

CO.CC domains also blocked in Google search results. This same will happen for all free domains.

So please buy Top Level domain to run your websites without any problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hostys