Change hosting, domain remains mine?

xeri

Are there many hosting packages that offer "free" domain in the package if tomorrow I change the hosting the domain remains mine?
If I intact the domain to a nominee how can I prevent this person from taking possession of it?
Another question: if I wanted to remain anonymous in the purchase of a domain apart from the payment with bitcoins or create an off-shore company and make a name for it, are there other solutions?
Thank you.

Most of them that is the case but READ the ToS and/or conditions of the "free domain" offering so you understand what their "take" is.

Usually they just deduct the domain's pricing but others will charge for changing the name servers (and you would NOT be able to do this on your end) and other ridiculous things.

The domain may be free, but it is the company that will manage it (the domain will be under their account). So if you decide to leave, terms of service might kick into action. As Harv45 stated, read the TOS. If they do not stipulate the domain conditions, it is a good idea to contact the company directly and ask this question, so you don't find yourself at an epic disadvantage after.

The way we deal with free domains is.

1) These are registered in our name and in our account.
2) If the clients wants to move hosts the options we give them are i) Pay the full price of the domain and we then change registrant details to their name etc. and place it in a domain account in their name. ii) We agree to change the nameservers for a fee and the domain remains in our name. iii) The give up the domain and we try and sell it .

It is most important to go through the policies and terms of services for the free domains. There is 99% cost associated with domain registrar transfer for the free domains as well as if anyone would like to purchase it then it has go though the bid many times.

Even DNS update has the cost associated with it so make sure to read all the terms.

It is most important to go through the policies and terms of services for the free domains. There is 99% cost associated with domain registrar transfer for the free domains as well as if anyone would like to purchase it then it has go though the bid many times.

Even DNS update has the cost associated with it so make sure to read all the terms.

if its a .uk domain then transfers are free, but we still as hosts have to pay to register the domain.

We only give free domains to high priced annual paid plans or monthly plans where we know the initial months charge will cover the domains cost. This was we dont lose out

if the whois domain using your email, you have the auth code, and can unlocked the domain

its enough to transfer the domain to other webhosting/registrar, even if its free domain before

They charge money if you want to change hosting or else you have to buy more then 3 or 4 years of hosting service.
They usually have their terms & conditions for buying domain for free.

Some providers offer you the domain for free only if you keep hosting account with them for a year or more. This varies from provider to provider. After that when you leave their hosting for that particular years, the domain will remain yours.

yeah you can transfer domain to tour new hosting service but it is contradictory sometime , it will be best if you check your current hosting site allow domain transfer or not

Many providers do offer the free domain name registration when you purchase a hosting plan with them, however lets say you decide for whatever the reason is you want to move to another provider, remember since they registered the domain name for you, you won't have access to it so you have to depend on them to make any changes for you and provide you with the transfer codes needed. You just need to make sure whoever you choose to go with that they will provide you with all this information and since it's your domain name assist you with moving it to your new provider.

Many providers do offer the free domain name registration when you purchase a hosting plan with them, however lets say you decide for whatever the reason is you want to move to another provider, remember since they registered the domain name for you, you won't have access to it so you have to depend on them to make any changes for you and provide you with the transfer codes needed. You just need to make sure whoever you choose to go with that they will provide you with all this information and since it's your domain name assist you with moving it to your new provider.

So WRONG

A few hosts will provide a free domain when taking out annual/biannual etc. hosting. They will lock the domain so it remains with them. If you decide to leave and move to another host then normally you have 2 choices.

1) Pay the host for the domain, so they will release it to you.
2) Give up on the domain and register a new domain in your own name.

So WRONG

A few hosts will provide a free domain when taking out annual/biannual etc. hosting. They will lock the domain so it remains with them. If you decide to leave and move to another host then normally you have 2 choices.

1) Pay the host for the domain, so they will release it to you.
2) Give up on the domain and register a new domain in your own name.

I agree, most of the hosts will allow you to choose one of those options. You can check the terms of use for the free domain with the companies who offer a free domain name with hosting. Also make sure to check with them the domain registration/renewal fees.

If you buy hosting today to get a "free" domain from a company and then tomorrow move hosting away from that provider they will probably ask you to pay full retail cost for the domain, in addition to any early cancellation fees that they may have.

Offers like this usually have some sort of caveat, otherwise it would not be profitable for the provider.

Nothing in life is free.

If you buy hosting today to get a "free" domain from a company and then tomorrow move hosting away from that provider they will probably ask you to pay full retail cost for the domain, in addition to any early cancellation fees that they may have.

Offers like this usually have some sort of caveat, otherwise it would not be profitable for the provider.

Nothing in life is free.

WRONG, if you read a hosts TOS your will find in their MBG that things such as Dedicated IPs, SSL certs, Domains, VPS, Dedicated servers are excluded from any MBG.
The main reason for this is because yes the host is selling you these, but these are being resold from 3rd parties.
With domains you register this for 1 year, this cannot be cancelled once registered, so will be in your name or whoever registered it for the 12 months regardless, so with a free domain a host would 9/10 lock the domain, so it cannot be moved away.
with me if a client did move away and would not pay for the domain then i would suspend the domain in resellerclub ( this then stops the domain working, so they cant use it)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saranya Subramaniam