Challenges pose by Cloud Hosting Providers to Traditional hosting providers ?

24x7server

There is a shift of more and more customers moving towards cloud hosting providers like AWS, Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure and DigitalOcean ? Is it because of pricing factors? Are clients happy to pay more for cloud hosting services? Or is it because of better-equipped hardware and technologies that cloud hosting providers offer? Even though Shared hosting services are today very cheap with better quality hardware.

If the ICO (information Commissioners Office) in the UK has anything to do with it AWS wont be going much longer as they are about to lose their DPA/GDPR registration.

You report spam though Spamcop and when one of the abuse emails shows as an AWS email you report this to AWS and then you get this from them.

Hello,

Our customer has requested your contact details to ensure their investigation concludes properly and you no longer receive emails from them.

Regards,

AWS Abuse Team

yes sure i am going to freely give my contact details to a SPAMMER.

They should be blocking customers that send out spam and not work with them and ask those who are spammed to give the spammers their full contact details.

so they are in for a shock

yes sure i am going to freely give my contact details to a SPAMMER.

They should be blocking customers that send out spam and not work with them and ask those who are spammed to give the spammers their full contact details.

so they are in for a shock
We don't provide services for spammers but our customers do, from time to time, end up sending spam unintentionally. An outdated or insecure plugin, vulnerable theme, a contact form with a "send me a copy of my message" option, etc.

Assuming we haven't already proactively resolved the issue, which I can't remember the last time we didn't, we'd need details on the message in order to investigate.

Many times we would use the recipient email address to do that investigation - searching logs.

Now one more thing to think about - if they spammed you - the spammer already has your email address. If you provide that same email address back and assuming the report goes to the spammer and not a legitimate customer - it's an email they already have :shrug:.

We don't provide services for spammers but our customers do, from time to time, end up sending spam unintentionally. An outdated or insecure plugin, vulnerable theme, a contact form with a "send me a copy of my message" option, etc.

Assuming we haven't already proactively resolved the issue, which I can't remember the last time we didn't, we'd need details on the message in order to investigate.

Many times we would use the recipient email address to do that investigation - searching logs.

Now one more thing to think about - if they spammed you - the spammer already has your email address. If you provide that same email address back and assuming the report goes to the spammer and not a legitimate customer - it's an email they already have :shrug:.

I never said you. It is AWS (Amazon), regardless Amazon should not be asking anyone to confirm their contact details to a spammer, This would imply they are working with the spammer rather than restrict or close the spammers account down.

I never said you. It is AWS (Amazon), regardless Amazon should not be asking anyone to confirm their contact details to a spammer, This would imply they are working with the spammer rather than restrict or close the spammers account down.
I simply listed what we've done as an example.

AWS is not "working with spammers".

To take this a step further - let's say we were an AWS Client and we were using their services to provide hosting. If AWS passes on a complaint to us where we cannot identify the source / cause of the issue we can do nothing about it.

AWS is also not going to shut us down for a spam report here or there. If it's a constant and ongoing issue - yes - but if it's constant and ongoing we should have no issues identifying it and resolving it.

The point still stands that if they spammed you - the spammer already has your email address. Providing the email address to the upstream provider for investigation isn't going to do you any harm.

I simply listed what we've done as an example.

AWS is not "working with spammers".

To take this a step further - let's say we were an AWS Client and we were using their services to provide hosting. If AWS passes on a complaint to us where we cannot identify the source / cause of the issue we can do nothing about it.

AWS is also not going to shut us down for a spam report here or there. If it's a constant and ongoing issue - yes - but if it's constant and ongoing we should have no issues identifying it and resolving it.

The point still stands that if they spammed you - the spammer already has your email address. Providing the email address to the upstream provider for investigation isn't going to do you any harm.

the ICO says otherwise and are investigating as spam was reported they should be taking action against the spammers and not asking the person receiving the spam for further contact details ( they asked for contact details and not email address) because the spammer wants them, this implies they are working with spammers.

Amazon already have the details of the spam email along with all headers which is all they need. if an AWS client is sending unsolicited emails then AWS should take action. they dont have my permission to have my email address let alone spam me, so are breaching the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

the ICO says otherwise and are investigating as spam was reported they should be taking action against the spammers and not asking the person receiving the spam for further contact details ( they asked for contact details and not email address) because the spammer wants them, this implies they are working with spammers.

Amazon already have the details of the spam email along with all headers which is all they need. if an AWS client is sending unsolicited emails then AWS should take action. they dont have my permission to have my email address let alone spam me, so are breaching the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
Sigh.

Ok, if you say so.