Centos 6 or 7 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's time to adopt 7 instead of 6 whenever reasonably possible.

The reason you see people preferring 6 over 7 is because 7 changed around a bunch of stuff like commands and, IMO, people fear such change.

Its always recommended to go with the newest platform so I would say CentOS 7.

There are some benefits running CentOS 7 with cPanel which you can read at this link.

It's time to adopt 7 instead of 6 whenever reasonably possible.
Agreed

The reason you see people preferring 6 over 7 is because 7 changed around a bunch of stuff like commands and, IMO, people fear such change.
Not so much in agreement here, but you're close

It's not necessarily that they changed commands around, but that they changed structures around... What had been used since pretty much the dawn of Linux (init.d) was swapped out for systemd. This is the biggest reason most won't like it. There was no need to change, and , as the old saying goes:

Don't fix what aint broken
init.d works , has no problems, and still does exactly what it's supposed to, without fail.

As far as 6 v 7:
6 still has a couple of years before EOL, but it's important to give it time and upgrade. You don't want to end up rushing into things.

If you're new to the industry, 7 is fine. If you're not, then get a VPS with 7, play with it, and then work on upgrading your other stuff

CentOS 7 is proven to be the latest version & fastest one. CentOS 7 is marked as an official OS for cPanel, so things are still being worked on in that regard. Going CentOS 7 will keep you future-proof, and new features will be added to CentOS 7 than 6.

You know, I'm not currently seeing any resistance to CentOS 7. There's no rush, but I think it's stable now.

also like any software CentOS 7 may be released, but does not say all server software is ready for CentOS 7 yet.
Still 2 years before needing to think about upgrading.

It is always best to go with the updated version of OS as there are new updates and new releases in the new version. I would suggest CentOS 7. Better to be the newest one. :)

It is always best to go with the updated version of OS as there are new updates and new releases in the new version. I would suggest CentOS 7. Better to be the newest one. :)

For those who have installed CentOS & want upgrade to a CentOS 7, they need not reformat their PC as CentOS 7 comes with an automatic upgrading feature called the In-Place Upgrade which automatically provides upgrading from CentOS 6 to CentOS 7.So it's quite easy & quick process:)

For those who have installed CentOS & want upgrade to a CentOS 7, they need not reformat their PC as CentOS 7 comes with an automatic upgrading feature called the In-Place Upgrade which automatically provides upgrading from CentOS 6 to CentOS 7.So it's quite easy & quick process:)

settings form a PC are totally different for a Server

centos 6 is good for older servers that need to run VM software

CentOS 6 is still well within its timeframe and still used on new servers and can still be used on new servers.

CentOS EOL Dates
CentOS 5: 31 March 2017
CentOS 6: 30 November 2020
CentOS 7: 30 June 2024

I would recommend you go with CentOS 7

- Security Updates
- Stable and compatible
- Powerful firewall
- Storage, network and graphics updates
- Virtulization and hypervisor technology supports

Generally, i choose the OS depending on which application i am deploying, and what the application is built for. Older applications, or configs are available for older OS , which are complete with a lot of information. Newer OS may not have packages for them. If it is a web server, or database, centos 7 is fine

What are you going to do with this OS?
If you are looking to use it for shared hosting, with cPanel/DirectAdmin/Other, I would recommend CloudLinux which is CentOS compatible.

Either way, go with the v7 variant, the kernel is newer and you are currently unaware what CentOS 6 will be incompatible with in the fuiture.

Status
Not open for further replies.