Can registrar sell an expire dominio?

supporthost

Hello, can domain registrar sell an expired.com domain name to other than owner (in 36 days renewal grace period)? I mean before redemption period. and is this rule same on all registrars in this case? thanks

Yes, a registrar can sell the domain depending on the domain extension. Each extension has different rules and grace periods. .com domains do have a 30 day redemption period, but each domain extension is different - and registrars may operate differently too. Some will purchase the domain name on behalf of the client, hold it for the period, and then extend that period to 90 days before releasing the domain (or holding it for the remainder of the year).

Check ICANN for more information - https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/domain-name-renewal-expiration-faqs-2018-12-07-en

Some registrars will also try their luck. I remember a domain i had for 12 years for a heritage railway with Namecheap it was an org.uk, so governed by nominet.
then 1 day i notice the site was down with a holding page that was not mine, so i checked and found it failed to renew the day before even though on autorenew.
Namecheap were having no of it and tried to blame me ( the new registrant just happened to be in the same location as namecheap), so i contacted Nominet with all the details. namecheap could not provide nominet with any evidence i had been sent renewal emails ( which i had not received any) and they could not explain why i was not given any grace time, so nominet decided to take the domain off the new registrant and hand it to me. i them removed all my domains from namecheap.

Some registrars will also try their luck. I remember a domain i had for 12 years for a heritage railway with Namecheap it was an org.uk, so governed by nominet.
then 1 day i notice the site was down with a holding page that was not mine, so i checked and found it failed to renew the day before even though on autorenew.
Namecheap were having no of it and tried to blame me ( the new registrant just happened to be in the same location as namecheap), so i contacted Nominet with all the details. namecheap could not provide nominet with any evidence i had been sent renewal emails ( which i had not received any) and they could not explain why i was not given any grace time, so nominet decided to take the domain off the new registrant and hand it to me. i them removed all my domains from namecheap.

Blimey, that all sounds a bit dodgy!

We have quite a few clients who use namecheap as a registrar and never seem to have any issue with them, but you never know it seems.

Blimey, that all sounds a bit dodgy!

We have quite a few clients who use namecheap as a registrar and never seem to have any issue with them, but you never know it seems.
never use them now.
even with SSLs, Comodo class Nominet as one of their biggest outlets, but nominet are fine when you first get and SSL, but always mess up with renewals and they blame you or even blame Comodo.