Building your own DC

Bigger hosting providers or such companies which need many servers can thing to open their own new DC if they have a lot of money and other things specified by other members above. :)

Unless you are rich and can afford to make a datacenter, don't even try because it will fail, it needs proper things to run.

Building a datacenter is very expensive. I highly recommend collocation if you can not afford a datacenter.

With today's economy, 13-30Mil is a conservative estimate. You also have to look at infrastructre. Is there fiber where you want to build? Is there any connectivity at all? (aside from your local telco)

There are TONS of variables in operating a DC, let alone STARTING one.

When? You should consider building your own DC when it makes financial sense, and will add value to your business, to do so. As you can see by the posts before mine, rolling your own is one huge undertaking.

Yes it is really expensive... If you have a new in business, never think about it.. If you have already customers and you think you can afford, go for it.. Rent a small facility at the begining..

Probably some ideas over here is - colocate with some other data center and when you reach certain no. of amount servers, then only start building your own DC. This is to ensure you use the floor space which you have .

The best thing is always outsourcing. It's cheaper and mostly better. If you want your own dc you should better look for a housing provider. Then you will have a nice place which is protected against fire, water and other things.

Well, You know this is an awesome idea to make own data centre. In that case I need my country GOVT. Registration and 24x7 Good Internet Connections.
But the problem is maintenance - if I solve this issue maybe I think about it more seriously :D

I would go ahead and do one. It's not so much the space, but rather the electricity. The bill on my house alone is enough to throw me off guard. I can't imagine how 1,000+ servers would be...

Well, You know this is an awesome idea to make own data centre. In that case I need my country GOVT. Registration and 24x7 Good Internet Connections.
But the problem is maintenance - if I solve this issue maybe I think about it more seriously :D
You're right about maintenance. Stuff will happen that needs immediate attention. Infrastructure stability is paramount if you're planning on running your own data center. :D

Not only are data centers expensive to build, but they are expensive to maintain and operate properly. Electrical systems, UPS, generators, chillers, CRAC units, etc all need to be maintained and those guys are not cheap. :)

I imagine it involves quite of investment and knowledge and experience. The data center I use is Interserver.net and I can highly refer this data center because of their fast support and expertise.

I think the topic starter means to say Starting your own network. With your own routers / peering partners / layers. A datacenter is just a real estate building, nothing more. You can leave that part to the real estate investors.

I think the topic starter means to say Starting your own network. With your own routers / peering partners / layers. A datacenter is just a real estate building, nothing more. You can leave that part to the real estate investors.

Yeah thwarts probably it. A datacenter can really be your own room, but building your own datacenter network is when you are going to need your bandwidth providers, technology partners, etc.

I disagree - the right choice of building (project in case you construct your own) is also essential in this biz.. who needs the network w/o power and thick walls to safeguard it? :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zentekinfosoft