Blackberry case ... stupid question(s)

pmhoran

I have sort of, in a way, not really ... following this NTP vs RIM legal drama.

I was posed with a question yesterday ... because some people around me think I know everything about anything dealing with computers & electronics. Go figure. I have never seen a Blackberry, don't really know what they do or how they work.

Anyway ... to the best of your knowledge ... this ONLY affects Blackberry in the USA? Right?? I have seen nothing in print about it threatening its use in Canada.

My sister is a manager with a huge multi-national manufacturer with plants in Canada & the USA. Right now, everyone (in Canada at least) has a Blackberry (it seems). When these people travel to the USA plants ... preferred means of communication is via email using their Blackberry's. So if NTP wins this case ... does that mean the can not longer use their Blackberry's in the USA ... if they can still use them in Canada???

Also ... how can NTP even file suit in the USA for "patent infringement" since its been denied a patent on the technology since 2002 (if I understand things correctly). They are still apealing (apparently) but if they don't have a legitimate patent yet ... how can they sue?

Hope someone has more insight to this than I do ...
Peter

BlackBerry have already announced long before they have a workaround that customers can implement should NTP win, and its likely going to win. According to eWeek magazine, the worldaround, called the BlackBerry Multi-Mode Edition, no longer queues messages when a user is unavailable. Rather, if a device is out of network range, the NOC (network operations center) will let BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server) know that the messages can't be delivered at that time. The server will queue the messages instead.

I am not as updated on the patent situation that NTP has, so if they filed a lawsuit - it means they can do that.

Best,

Artashes said:
so if they filed a lawsuit - it means they can do that.

I am confusalled.

So ... if NTP once again loses their patent case ... but they have settled with RIM/Blackberry for umpteen millions of dollar before ... does that mean they get to keep the money or would they have to pay it back???

If they get to keep the money ... I need to get me into that type of business. One lawsuit won on a patent I don't have and I would be set for life. :)

pmhoran said:
Starbuck's????
Extra hot I hope. :D :smash:

Peter, I wouldn't know the details. I think that will depend on agreement parties reach between themselves.

Well, it's not like I went down and tasted it... dammit. I couldn't reach.. If I could, I wouldn't be married. wait a minute.. how did this get so off topic? sorry pmhoran...

<<crikey...I hope my wife doesn't read this>>

That is one chunk of cash for NTP, $612 million.. Whew..
But that is an expense that is critical to Blackberry - that is how much they HAVE to pay to retain their customer's comfort. Its a business decision more than anything.

WhereToLook ... no apology necessary as far as I am concerned. I enjoyed the humour. :thumbsup:

Ldcdc, Blue & Artashes ... yeah ... that is one big chunk of change. Anyone know how I go about suing for patent infringement??? I think I remember that it was me that invented the cell phone technology ... and I want restitution hehehehe. Oh yeah ... and Bill Gates copied my notes in university about a computer operating system I was starting to develop ... I want a percentage ownership in Microsoft too. That is even a bigger laugh.

Anyway ... I imagine with the settlement between RIM & NTP ... both their stocks settled down a bit. But personally, I hope NTP loses their patent fight and have to pay RIM back. I don't know why ... I just do. Maybe for the same reason I was cheering on Seattle instead of the Steelers in the Super Bowl ???

But as Blue said ... my question is kind of moot now.

Peter