Bad experience with P4HOST

SineSwiper

Sure, you get a lot of features for buck, but what's missing is good tech support (or should I say "one guy running everything"). The guy is a moron with no concept of how to run a server.

He starts complaining that my scripts are hogging all of the resources (without elaborating), even though the scripts are running with /bin/nice, so that it's the lowest priority thing on the box. Just because nobody else is using the CPU doesn't mean that I'm hogging it. After complaining about him about suspending my account, he re-enables it. But I notice that I have no shell access, so I try to make a tar backup of my web site (to move to another host), and he SUSPENDS ME again, and suggests I move to another web host! (Well, gee, I was going to do that anyway...)

So, let this serve at a warning: if you plan on using any sort of script on this guy's site, Buyer beware!

I also had miserable tech support on other ends, like subdomains going to the wrong directories, and several unanswered tickets or canned responses that weren't helpful. It's embarassing when you're smarter and can do the job better than the system administrator.

My fear is that too many clueless newbies think they can start a web hosting business by loading up Linux, and then hoping that CPanel will do everything for them. "Yes, now you can start your own web hosting company in 1-2-3 easy clicks!" This seems to be one of many examples of that.

Now I have no web site(s) and I have to resort to my backup e-mail address. I'm going to try out Blue Box Internet now. Hopefully, they won't jack me around like P4HOST did.

On your statement about too many newbies starting hosting businesses, I totally agree. P4HOST is a great example of it and you're not the first to complain, either.

Also, P4HOST's pricing is ridiculous. As everyone says, you get what you pay for. But don't always assume the most expensive is the best.

got to say that P4Host has been going well - these are the first bad reports I have heard.
Everytime I email them (when I was looking for reseller space - not with them though!) emails were returned promptly with a good degree of knowledge....

Just my 2p (and hello - me first post :))

Ryan

Hello,
Before I started I had to make serious decisions. I actually first learned how it worked and after 4 years I started my own. Right now I basically know what to do in most positions. Its great if you spend sometime learning how the hosting industry works :).
Thanks

Thx I was planning to host with them but amm :eek: not any more..

I had the same bad experience with wwm.net ..
so be ware..

c yaa

p4host is good with me. Uptime, support and backup :) I have a site changed and Kevin helped me to restore all data within 5 minutes :)

Just want to say: p4host is great.