Backups

BlackStorm

Should the host or client be responsible for backing up accounts?
Most hosts have in their TOS that the client must backup their own data and they are not liable in the event that anything is lost.
What do you think should happen if its the hsots fault that a client loses their data?
IE. If sites are being moved to another server and all files are lost?
I think the host should do something to help the client anyway, even if the client is meant to be backing up their own files.
John

Every hosting account I have had I have always been responsible for backing up files. Also cPanel users will have an easy to use backup system.

It is very easy to backup through cPanel.
I think you should always backup your account.
I didnt do it on my own sites for months but after a few experiences I have learnt to backup often now :rolleyes:

I have in my TOS that I am not responsibal and it is only there in the event something bad happends where a attacker or hacker damages the server. However, I do make all attempts to do daily backup's. You will find that most hosts has this same policy.

Well I wouldn't know really but I think backing up is a must in most cases.
I have lost loads of music and films through carelessly not backing them up as well as Windows a few times lol.

I have learnt to back up too now. It's just a case of being bothered I 'spose.

Jim

I say a host has a responsibly to make sure the files don’t get hacked into and they are safe. So a back up every two weeks or more would be great I suppose. Although a host is not responsible for a users home computer, so if people get into the idea of backing up a home PC. They would also back up other stuff. Technical faults do happen and not much that can be done about them…

The hosts have enough to do, we shouldn't have to backup the client's content also... client's these days want everything for nothing. I offer backups but we will charge for it as it does take up more time and hdd space. A client should be responsible for this themselves.

Say you did offer backups too all your clients. You have 100 sites on your server. You backup all those sites weekly. Your server crashes and dies... now not only do you have to lose a bunch of customers, but you have to setup all the accounts that decide to stick around, AND you have to upload their backups. And from experience I can tell you that if you backup sites (especially mysql databases) on one server and then restore them on a new server, there is going to be database and permission/user problems to deal with...

definetly not worth it...

The hosts have enough to do, we shouldn't have to backup the client's content also

i agree but i still back up my clients sites if not weekly the bi-weekly....saves me a few headaches.... :D

Backups are an important part of web hosting. I believe the Host should be incharge of backing up the servers at least once a month or more, incase of a crash so data can be recovered.

But I also believe that it is the clients duty to perform backups regularly. It is their data. If it is valuable to them they should back it up. They should not rely on the host for keeping data backed up. The only times I would make an exception to this is if data is lost due to the hostings staff error/ or miss judgement and/or if the client was paying you extra to run backups every so often, and if you did not do your job properly. Then I would hold the hosting company at fault.

The best route to go to make sure you provide a comfortable hosting atmostphere and show a certain level of stability, is to run raid mirrored and to perform monthly backups. Also make sure you clearly state in your AUP/TOS that you are not responsible for lost data. Make sure when your clients sign up that they understand that and aslo maybe link them to a Help Doc explaining cpanels backup.

What should you do if a client is paying you extra to backup but you didnt backup and the server got hacked.
If they had changed much on their site and you hadnt backed up then you should be providing the backups, which you dont have the latest of.
obviously the customer wouldnt be happy but what would you do because of this?
Give them money back?
Free hosting for a while?
Something else?

to answer your question... the first thing to do is to be honest with the client. Explain to them that you havent been able to get the backup done due to whatever the reason you didnt.

Explain that you are really sorry that information was lost and that you would be willing to help get them back to where they need to be.

I would definately refund the addtional money that I was charging them for a service I did not do. I would also offer to compensate them with some free services for a while. Again it depends on the information lost.

If the site was huge and getting like 2,000 hits per day and you lost absolutely everything. You best be on your knees asking what you can do to help. But be professional about it. And make sure at some time you explain the importance of backing your data up yourself sometimes. I remember when I ran a small forum.... i would get free monthyl backups... but I would always backup my SQL files to my home computer... just in case.

What should you do if a client is paying you extra to backup but you didnt backup and the server got hacked.

You should return their money ......i think ....i would probally ask for mine back because you didn't live up to your end of the contract.

<!--QuoteBegin-XSecure+Oct 13 2003, 06:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (XSecure @ Oct 13 2003, 06:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->

You should return their money ......i think ....i would probally ask for mine back because you didn't live up to your end of the contract.
[/b][/quote]
What if there was no contract??? Just a verbal agreement. (I like to mess with peoples heads)

Well it might not be worth it to try and hold out for that bit of money, could come back and ruin your reputation or put a nice dent in it.

Gordy.... dont ruin my chain of thoughts :) jk....

I would definately refund his money. If one clients hosting is going to make or break your buisiness (unless its absolutely huge) you dont have much of a business anyways.

if the client pays me extra for backup services... BACKUP their data... it is that simple... would be like going to a restuarant and asking for soda and paying money for it then never getting it...

<!--QuoteBegin-Vovex Technology+Oct 13 2003, 06:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Vovex Technology @ Oct 13 2003, 06:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-XSecure+Oct 13 2003, 06:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (XSecure @ Oct 13 2003, 06:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->

[/b][/quote]
What if there was no contract??? Just a verbal agreement. (I like to mess with peoples heads) [/b][/quote]
A verbal agreement is a contract ...at least i think so ... :huh:

I dont say about providing backups and no-one pays me extra for backups but i still do it anyway.

I tink a verbal agreement is also a contract and if i was bring paid to do the backup i would live up to it