Back Ups

Its best to make your own backups and as handsonhosting said r1soft is the best solution for you, however most reseller hosting companies will make backups themselves so if you are just starting out it is best to go with them ;)
Only if you have no financial resources, and even then, it's a huge risk. If you're going to run a full fledged business, there are certain expenses that are necessary to protect your investment - and reliable backups is at the top of that list.

If you don't want something quite as flashy/expensive as R1Soft and you're using cPanel/WHM then you can consider 'CPremote'. It uses rsync to backup all the accounts on the server and stores it in a format where you can just take the backup data for 1 account and restore that entire account (files, databases, emails, dns etc.) from the data. As it uses rsync, it only copies data that has been changed. It puts very little strain on the server at all as it does not compress the data like normal cPanel backups. I have been trying the software for a little while now and the support is great, the product is reliable and it all works as it should.

The downside in comparison to R1Soft is that it really is for backing up the data on the server (i.e. on a daily/weekly/monthly basis) and not for providing your customers with a way of backing up their data and easily restoring parts of it as they need it.

As part of what makes it worth buying from a reseller instead of directly from a hosting company, would it be worth offering daily back ups as a part of the service? Or even as an optional extra that you add a small fee for on the monthly bill?

The hosting company does server backup and the reseller would normally do account backups but this is not true for all companies. Make sure you ask questions if this is a concern.

Any quality provider will have some kind of backup policy. It will begin with "we are not responsible for them" and then continue on with what their plan is to make it easy as possible for them to restore a server in the event of a severe failure. You should know what this is, it is a very good indicator of what kind of service you can expect for the money you are paying.

In the end, you are responsible for your own backups, the service provider is not and you should plan accordingly

As part of what makes it worth buying from a reseller instead of directly from a hosting company, would it be worth offering daily back ups as a part of the service? Or even as an optional extra that you add a small fee for on the monthly bill?

Most hosting companies offer daily backups but it the ones that offer daily off-server backups with ftp client access that makes it different from the rest.

If you have the extra space for backups it would be a great option to do this. I have wanted to do this with my company and offer it as an extra service but dont have a big enough server offsite. Alot of companies and people using VPS's and other services will pay for backing up services. Great idea!