Avoiding Hackers on my VPS !!!

Yeah, stop using automated payment and signup processes. You should be aware of every site signing up. Who knows, maybe your servers are being used to hack other sites???:twocents:

Hi,

Hackers now a days are doing lot of such activities and shared servers are often the best targeting ones. Considering this, you have to be on your toes to make the server secure on the core level, as a small loop holes causes hacker to go right into core to view the files that they should not viewing and exploiting the information altogether.

Hack into one account and defacing all the accounts gets quite easy in such situation. You got to isolate each user properly, so if hacker gets into one account, he is not able to go beyond that particular user to get files/configurations from the other users.

Properly configured mod security does pretty good job, but again not 100% full proof. Vulnerability assessment has to be done and the logs should be audited on a regular basis to see activities.

There is a vulnerability in wordpress theme, plugin and software.

Many of site hacked by hackers due to weak password, using outdated software, plugin or downloading a themes/software from war-ez site.

HostZealot do you mean using º or ª or ' ^`can it work too?

Good point 24x7server about the guys that sell shared ,maybe you coud put some examples to us of how to configure mode security

T H A N K Y O U

Few things to start with:
1. Rotational passwords changes (if needed enforced)
2. Ensure clients updating their CMS platforms
3. Run complete security check and optimization on the server level, ensuring there is no open holes patched in by certain hacker.
4. If all above done and security issues continues and its not coming from specific web site, highly consider re-install and restoration of the accounts into brand new setup that has been pre-secured and optimized before accounts placed on.

Hi,

Hackers now a days are doing lot of such activities and shared servers are often the best targeting ones. Considering this, you have to be on your toes to make the server secure on the core level, as a small loop holes causes hacker to go right into core to view the files that they should not viewing and exploiting the information altogether.

Hack into one account and defacing all the accounts gets quite easy in such situation. You got to isolate each user properly, so if hacker gets into one account, he is not able to go beyond that particular user to get files/configurations from the other users.

Properly configured mod security does pretty good job, but again not 100% full proof. Vulnerability assessment has to be done and the logs should be audited on a regular basis to see activities.

Completely agree here and highly advice to follow that as well.

Few things to start with:
1. Rotational passwords changes (if needed enforced)
2. Ensure clients updating their CMS platforms
3. Run complete security check and optimization on the server level, ensuring there is no open holes patched in by certain hacker.
4. If all above done and security issues continues and its not coming from specific web site, highly consider re-install and restoration of the accounts into brand new setup that has been pre-secured and optimized before accounts placed on.

I agree with your recommendations but I highly doubt both providers and EU do this or will be willing to do this often. Most hosting providers are set up and forget.:twocents:

I agree with your recommendations but I highly doubt both providers and EU do this or will be willing to do this often. Most hosting providers are set up and forget.:twocents:

We do points 1 to 3 on a regular basis.

If we find clients ignoring requests to update CMS or their scripts when requested then we suspend the relevant account so to get the clients attention, once the client contacts us we will unsuspend the account and give them 48 hrs to upgrade the CMS/Script, if after the 48 hrs they still have not upgraded then we will do this and then charge the client our hourly rate

easyhostmedia as always very dedicated , web hosting superb

Well its no good as a host spending money and time on server security when you have clients who do not update scripts or install issued security patches which puts the whole server at risk

Just a quick observation.

Changing your password often does nothing to increase you security if you are connection securely, or insecurely over a switched network (which cannot be overheard like old hub networks).

Say I have an incredibly secure password, why change it for another incredibly secure password?

If I don't share it, only connect over SSH or TLS, why can that not stay the same forever.

I think once a password is complex enough, it need not be changed often.

Of course, I would love all my customers to update their software, but as people here allude to, it takes something like a hack or suspension to wake them up!

CSF (ConfigServer Services) is a great firewall software for cPanel as it can analyze and tell you how to secure your server.

RedHat Enterprise v3 to v7 *openSUSE v10, v11, v12
CentOS v3 to v7 *Debian v3.1 - v8
CloudLinux v5 to v7 *Ubuntu v6 to v15
Fedora v1 to v22 *Slackware v12

**Virtuozzo **OpenVZ
VMware UML
Xen MS Virtual Server
VirtualBox KVM

We provide a free install of this on our VPS templates.

If you don't mind paying, we've found BitNinja quite effective.

You can add this to Centos/RHEL/CloudLinux with RPM, or Debian/Ubuntu with apt-get it's working in minutes.

You can use it on VMware, KVM and Xen Servers, but not yet on OpenVZ.

Last edited: