Automated Backups

Yep the siteautobackup is a nice little site operated by HostGator. For their free one, it costs $25 to restore a site and they only permit weekly backups.

The Base 1GB for $2/month is a fair price and $1 per 1GB additional space needed. The 5GB runs on the same deal for $5/month and $1 for each gig.

Nice to have an extra backup system hanging around - still, I recommend making internal backups too.

The cPanel Backup feature where you get to create Full cpanel backups is quite a handy utility as it allows you create a backup of your entire account including email, forwarders, DBs, files, etc which you can always use to move your site to another server. Apart from that and as mentioned above, most hosts do maintain regular backups on their servers, however, it's best to not rely on your host's backups alone as you could run into problems where a backup you need doesn't exist. It would be a good idea to backup your site regularly, say once every week at the very least.

As someone said before WHM Panel can make automatic remote backup and upload it to your preffered location which i tested for months and which is very effective and helpful.

If you're using WHM, you can set up your backup configuration to export to a remote FTP location.

rsync is an option too

Personally, if I was on a budget, I'd create a cronjob to dump the database to a file, then rsync that file to a remote location. MOST TIMES the file structure on the site wouldnt' be changing, it's just the database which is the important part.

This is most desirable. Rather than "hoping" the host you use to resell from will actually back up your sites as they say they will. :smash:

I have a php script that works with crons that will back up your accounts for you. You set it to where want the backup , either on your local or ftp to another server. If you are interest send me a PM and I will give you a copy of the script script. :)

Is there a way to automate daily backups for a reseller account? I've looked around and a lot of hosting companies list this as a benefit of their hosting. I'm just wondering how this is accomplished, through software i.e. Cpanel/WHM or is this done by the server manager the top level company running the server.

Thanks

Mark

Some hosting companies use R1Soft to perform such backups. The benefit behind this, is that users can restore their backed up files from their own cPanel without the need to contact the host for assistance.

For example WHM has got such a automated backups option or rsync has got similar feature. Buying external module for that purpose is not best idea if Your income is not very high. Many tools will do quite well for much less price.

There are certain types of software for automated backups but they need to be installed by the root user on the server so you can't do anything in reseller accounts.

It could be done in cpanel with the feature cronjob,many of the function about website management could be realized through cpanel.

Is there a way to automate daily backups for a reseller account? I've looked around and a lot of hosting companies list this as a benefit of their hosting. I'm just wondering how this is accomplished, through software i.e. Cpanel/WHM or is this done by the server manager the top level company running the server.

Thanks

Mark

Yes, we have a script we use to perform auto whm/cpanel backups everyday or how ever you want to set up a cron job.

There are certain types of software for automated backups but they need to be installed by the root user on the server so you can't do anything in reseller accounts.

No, you do not have to set the script up in the root. All my scripts are on another server that logins to the whm and performs a backup then ftp's the backup to our backup server.

Depending on what exactly you are wanting to backup and to the same server or offsite you can use different software and cron jobs to run it at whatever increments you want.

Generally , many webhosts runs the backup manually , which is stored on either local server or on a remote server. Some web hosts runs the tape backup too so in case some thing crashes they can restore the things. However few Web hosts use latest backup technologies where users have access to back up and restore the solutions.

You can search for it

Would just like to point out that you need to make sure that your off-site location is super reliable, no point in making backups if you cant restore from them later. We use Rackspace Cloudfiles as it ensures there are 3 copies of the files making it super redundant incase our servers go down.

Would just like to point out that you need to make sure that your off-site location is super reliable, no point in making backups if you cant restore from them later. We use Rackspace Cloudfiles as it ensures there are 3 copies of the files making it super redundant incase our servers go down.

That's a great solution. The only problem I see is that if Rackspace ceases to exist, so do all three of your copies. That's probably unlikely, but spectacular failures of companies has happened.

I maintain backups a bit differently. I have R1Soft backups with daily restore points going back 28 days, and I have a daily cron job that dumps the databases and uses rsync and SSH to backup each account's files & databases to another server. The two servers are in two different data centers, in two different states. With the R1Soft backups, that makes three servers in three different locations, so the redundancy is there.

I have monthly backups that I store at home, but they are less useful than the daily backups. I keep them because the other solutions "auto delete" accounts that are no longer with me.

You must have root access to have automated backups because for this you need to install backup software on server which will be backing up all the data on HDD automatically.

However, you can also do it through cron jobs just like software like WHMCS which emails backup of database every day on your mentioned email address.