Anyone owns a webhosting company

Vibe

Well i was recently in a chat room that is primarily for people that own web hosting companies. Anyways someone imed me and told me that they are starting a web hosting company and asked me for help and I said sure.

Then I asked what he needs help with and he said everything he doesn't know how to do anything. Well I got quite mad about this becuz its a perfect example that anyone from the streets with a few bucks can start a web hosting company. Thats why the webhosting field has such a bad name.

Yup. Its the internet, any 10 year old can start a web hosting business. People don't realize that it IS a business, and people rely on them. When people ask me for help with/starting their web hosting company and don't know a thing about it, I give a good 10 minute speech that makes them change their mind :) .

I am a web designer based in manchester england and I have been having a nightmare finding a reliable hosting company. I have been thinking of setting up my own web host for use with the sites I design only!! but alas I dont really know where to start it has been sugested to me that I use red hat which comes with apache web server????
Please can any one help me as things are getting pretty urgent now.

My biggest beef as well...any one who has a PC can be a "web" solution provider. makes me mad as hell.

alan said:
I am a web designer based in manchester england and I have been having a nightmare finding a reliable hosting company. I have been thinking of setting up my own web host for use with the sites I design only!! but alas I dont really know where to start it has been sugested to me that I use red hat which comes with apache web server????

Hi alan,
Sounds like you should look into getting a reseller account first. That is least expensive for you to get started in the hosting business. Keep in mind though there are several "types" of reseller accounts so you might want to do some research into the different kinds that are offered. With reselling YOU would handle your own customers support/billing.
Good Luck

Yes, I would agree with Martie, a reseller account is surely the way to start. This will definitely give you the time to develop the experience you need in both handling your billing and your own service support while cutting down your initial charges. Just make sure to select a hosting company that will allow you to move your accounts easily when you grow and/or that can help you once you need to have your dedicated machine. The last thing you want is a bad surprise if a company your are hosting your reseller account with suddently change their policy and you are stuck with a couple hundred accounts that needs to be moved in a day or 2 with no tools to do so. Otherwise, once you feel confident enough about your hosting knowlege you should definitely consider purchasing your own machine. I do not believe a hosting company can ever grow without this kind of independance. : )

pchost:

Placing advertisements on this forum is not allowed. Please take a moment and review our guidelines.

We rely on your further cooperation.

I must agree that alot of people that do start a web hosting business these day know very little about this field. I myself have worked in this field for some time. I currently work for a ISP during the day if that says anything.

I bet if you ask alot of host how to do a simple dns change without using their control panel they would get. :confused:

I started my business this year myself which I relize is slow going it takes a good year before most people will sign up with a new host, but im in it for the long hall I didnt jump into this without doing alot of research.

Granted I cant do the cheapest quotes around ,but then again as the old saying goes you get what you pay for I pay top doller for my dedicated servers for full support even though 98% of the time I dont need it but just in case :D

I dont have a hugh buget for ads, but found running ads a waste of money very quickly. I have recently looked at campains that most host would not think about or start with some business plans with other businesses that go hand in hand.

Just some early morning thoughts or rambles have a good one I need some more coffee later

:crazy2:

These problems are inevidable. Although it's an unfortunate statistic, it provides a pretty bold line between a web kiddie's "company" and an actual hosting provider.

I was contacted by someone looking to buy a dedicated server from us, but didn't know a thing about managing a dedicated server. They didn't want to pay for management too. I told them to get a reseller account, but they wouldn't listen. Why do all these new hosts feel the need for dedicated servers? When I first started out I was running from a reseller account and gradually got bigger and bigger until I had my own server farm. Please, if you are a new web host remember that your best option is probably a reseller account. That's why they exist.

alan said:

Hi Alan,

Maybe the best solution for your needs would be a reseller plan. You can create the accounts as and when you need them and you don't have to worry about server maintenance and can concentrate on what you do best, web design ;)

But the fact stands, that because anyone can just jump online one day and start a hosting company or any Dot-Com company for that matter, is why consumers must be careful with their decisions.

Never jump into things right away, the best deal isnt always the best choice.

I do consulting for numerous different webhosting companies. It is not something I really wanted to do but people started asking so I decided to do it. I am shocked that a lot of people are interested in jumping right in with a webhosting company without any prior knowledge. I would say that most of the people I talk to are over 21. Most of them are good people, however a couple of them do go and play counterstrike when they know their are a couple people with issues. These people should not be in the webhosting business.

Garage/Basement Hosting Companies

I am at the far end of this issue. We have been an ISP doing hosting since 1994, we even have our own tier 1datacenter. Despite this we are forced to compete against these basement/garage hosting companies. Every time I have to explain the difference between us and them I just want to pull my hair out. How about 10 years experience, our own data center, 24/hr highly paid professional staff? And when asked why we don't charge $1/mo...I think Gee...because REAL businesses have things like profit margins and overhead. I'm hoping time will weed out the, uh...weaker companies. Darwin-like.

STOP HELPING THEM

everyone here is making me frustrated, all you do is comlain then you help out all the companies you hate.

If you hate these companies so much then stop answering posts that "starting new buisness" or "newbie needs help" or whatever.

All the people that help these other people out are the same ones that complain, take the first post in this thread, if someone said to you "i want to start a web-hosting company, can u help?"

My instant answer would be "no" i am not ranting and don't want any respect but no gave me a damn thing when i started and no one helped me, i knew what i wanted, i knew what to do and here i am.

Next time any of you see a post like i am talking about why not just reply, "wait, get more experience do not jump in"

and ya know what, reseller accounts are not fo idiots, yes they are easy but there is no way in hell i would let some newbie resell on my server i don't need his money that bad, don't suggest to people that don't know anything to get a reseller account, if they don't know Sh** then say "your in the wrong feild"

i could really care less if the post start an argument because i won't reply to anything!

If you won't reply to anything then your post is pretty useless. Why even bother bringing it up?

Since you did bring it up what problem do you have helping a newbie if they ask for help?

You say no one helped you when you started up. How can that be true? How did you get into business? You must have read something about it or participated in forums. Are you saying that the people who wrote what you read didn't help you?

I see nothing at all wrong with someone asking for help here. That is the first step to any business. Asking for help.
You say the standard answer should be "wait, get more experience do not jump in" but how can they get more experience if no one will help them?

I personally am happy to help any newbie or veteran with any questions they may have.
I would think that would be part of your service if someone wanted to set up a reseller account with you as well.

Personally, I'm not so insecure in my business that I am afraid of newcomers.

Blue

Well "blue" lol

first off i am not in the mood to argue that why i said i will not reply, but it does not stop such as yourself from wasting people times

For your informationi had a freidn in the web-hosting buisness, but we grew apart and many years later decided i would give it a shot, but since we no longer talked he did not help me, i did read up but i did not go to forum and ask from help

and no one here is insecure don;t say that to make yourself feel better, but people are tired of fly by night hosts that take our customers, can't give them proper support with their limited reseller option or knowladge, then go out of buisness and make people think twice about the hosting industry as a whole.

And from now on fully read a topic and fully understand it before you speak, because me and everyone else that reads your reply is gonna see that you have no idea what your talking about, when did i say i have a problem helping a newbie?

I said that people that DO are the same people that will complain a couple treads later, go ahead quote me so you look bad!

And the proper way to get into a business is not go to forums and ask, i don't care how many people (probably yourself included) did it that way, how bout school? How bout computer science.

If i want to be a mechanic i won't go to a mechanic forum and try to learn all i can and expect that when i got for a job interveiw that they will be happy with the level of experience i have.

Just like if you have to tell a customer that you learned all you know by going to forums and asking, do you really think they will applaud you, or say wow, good job?

No, actually they will think twice and start wondering how secure their website really is with you.

If you want to go back and forth all day then lets go i can already tell your that kind of person, or am i jumping to conclusions like you did with my thread?

Rapid Host, I'm actually surprised you do not consider asking for help a good strategy when going into business. This is even what they tell us in one of the best business schools in Canada, that is what numerous successfull entrepreneurs tell students to do: Ask for help.

Because most of the time, people WANT and they WILL help when asked for.

You surely can try and go into business on your own, but think about how many mistakes you can ignore by asking for advice from those who passed all those steps already.

Best,