Anyone else get these???

pmhoran

There is a company here in Canada that keeps sending me renewal notices in the mail (snail mail) acting as if they already have my domains registered with them.

They keep sending them despite repeated requests to take ALL my domain & my address OFF their mailing list. But they keep on coming. I have even barked at them a few times over the phone about it. No change.

Then, in a way kind of thankfully, the friends sites I host ... they get the renewal notices for their domain names ... but they call me about it before they do anything. And everytime I tell them just to tear up the notice & throw it in the garbage (or recycling).

I know others MUST get this too. Do you just ignore these "renewal notices" ???? Or have you been able to make them stop some how???

I know this company's US counterpart got slapped by the US government a few years ago because of the wording they were using. BUT, in Canada they made a quick change to the wording so it slips under our federal guidelines (apparently). And I hear in the USA changes in the wording were made but just enough to slip under the radar there as well ... now.

So ... has anyone gotten them to stop??? Or do you just deal with it ... and chuck it into the "round file" bin???

Peter

I receive exactly the same mail as you, Peter, and it is extremely annoying.
My solution has been tearing it up. I would have recycled it if not for sensitive information they list.

Look at the bright side - they just serve as good reminders of domain that do in fact require renewal sometime soon. :)

Best,

I haven't received one of those for a while, but my local hosting customers always call me asking what they should do with the ones they receive.

I forget how it works - do they ask you to renew with them online or by mail? if by mail, (and hopefully they enclose a prepaid return envelope), just load up the envelope with a bunch of scrap paper (or a lead weight or two) to make it nice and heavy, and then drop it in the mailbox. If they receive enought of these where they have to pay the postage, maybe they'll start to think twice about it.

Vito

Artashes ... thats what those cross-cut shredders are for :) Then you can recycle :) All household papers I put through mine even if it isn't mail. My touch of paranoia showing through again hehehehehe :)

Vito ... I think they enclose an envelope that you have to put a stamp on. But your solution was a great one to envision hehehehe :)

I haven't received one in months either ... but ... I don't think they have disappeared. I think its due to the Post Office forcing me to change my PO Box after 20 years (idiots!!!!) Guess I will find out how often they recheck their data. I know I still get (or got) those renewal notices for domains I had let expire.

Peter

vito said:
if by mail, (and hopefully they enclose a prepaid return envelope), just load up the envelope with a bunch of scrap paper and then drop it in the mailbox.
Hahahaha. I will do that next time, only I will pay with "Monopoly" money.