All About XEN? over KVM

HosterDaddy

Hello Guys,

What you say about XEN. Is it good to have XEN over KVM?

I would like to know your views.

Thanks
Regards

Last edited:
Depends on your expertise. Both virtualization are good. I prefer KVM.

Xen is a bare metal hypervisor. Xen is a very light hypervisor with a small foot print.

Linux KVM is a virtualization module for the linux kernel. KVM requires that the host node have Hardware Virtualization extensions. It supports Paravirtualization via the VirtIO framework

The KVM is loaded as a module from the standard mainline linux kernel, vs Xen’s very small footprint.

If you are in the hosting business most VPS control plans support XEN and KVM.

Last edited:
Hi,

It is a matter of choice. However, to get it more simple, if you have a server and want Windows VPS on it, server node has to be configured with Xen HVM, cannot be installed on Xen PV.. However, no such limitation in KVM. You can do it all on KVM may be it is windows or linux, etc.,

Xen PV --> Only *Nix.
Xen HVM --> Windows and *Nix. (For ISO installation)
KVM --> Both Windows and *Nix's

I'm not an expert in virtualisation but would definitely choose kvm because it's got more people actively developing it and seemingly now a larger community.

I'm under the impression that xen is decreasing and kvm is increasing (red hat, open stack etc.).

Hello Guys,

What you say about XEN. Is it good to have XEN over KVM?

I would like to know your views.

Thanks
Regards

I would say, Xen is external hypervisor; it control of the machine and divides resources among VMs. Whereas KVM is part of Linux and uses the regular Linux scheduler and memory base management. It means, KVM is much smaller and simpler to use; it is also more featureful and powerful as compare to xne; for example KVM can swap guests to disk in order to free RAM.

KVM only run on processors that supports x86 hvm whereas Xen also allows running modified operating systems on non-hvm x86 processors using a technique paravirtualization. KVM can't support paravirtualization for CPU but may support paravirtualization for device drivers to improve I/O performance.

KVM is more improved version of virtualization as compare to XEN, therefore now a days many web hosting companies using KVM instead of XEN.

Hello,

I don't know how works KVM but in our Public Cloud, the couple Xen+Cloudstack provides natively network features such as firewall / NAT / load balancing / VPN.

Hello,

KVM is always best for VPS. The reason is pretty simple the KVM VPS uses its resources. There is always dedicated RAM and CPU for KVM based VPS.

Kernel-based Virtul Machine is supported but Red Hat, so we referee it. I would not say that Xen isn't a good choice, however.

Xen is a hypervisor that supports x86, x86_64, Itanium, and ARM architectures, and can run Linux, Windows, Solaris, and some of the BSDs as guests on their supported CPU architectures
KVM is a hypervisor that is in the mainline Linux kernel. Your host OS has to be Linux, obviously, but it supports Linux, Windows, Solaris, and BSD guests.

Both are good virtulization technologies and also both are supports linux and windows too.. Presently KVM has good response in hosting, you can go with KVM

Xen and KVM virtualization both can work with linux and windows platform.Based on your need you can choose among them.

We prefer XEN, you can run PV templates for all Linux distributions and then you can use HVM for windows or other ISO based OS. KVM and XEN are within 0.5% performance of eachother so there isn't hardly any difference there. If you plan to host a lot of Linux VPS, I'd suggest KVM. If you plan to do both, I'd suggest XEN since its more stable and has more native drivers being that it has been around longer.

I prefer XEN. KVM is more resource hungry are there is system loss in KVM Virtualization. One can do anything in Xen that he can do with KVM. I had a great performance in XEN over KVM always.