A got a letter from a company to renew my domain today

BlackStorm

Hey,
I got a letter from a company in England saying I have to renew my domain name immediately eo ensure service continues uninterrupted...

I have never heard of them before and they sound like a scam to me, it sounds like they are saying the domain has to be registered through them and they are playing on the fact that a lot of people wont know anything about domain registration.

They say a lot of times about the domain becoming available for others to buy if I dont send them money ASAP for my domain (which I just renewed about 5 days ago by the way...:rolleyes: )

The cost is........£60/2 years.
Which is around $100 I think for the 2 years...
What a rip off!

The company is EU REGISTRY SERVICES and they must search through the whois for domains expiring with the admin near them...

And into the bin it goes :D

So about $50 a year, wow that is about a good 5 domains. Dishonest companies should be shut down.

Yeah I know.
I dont think they are being dishonest about anything though, just charging a huge amount for the domains.

I think the only way to pay was via cheque or money order also, I know you had to send them it anyway, didnt even see a website address on the form :rolleyes:

Hey! I got one like this similiar to that. £80 to keep my domain... which is registered for another year before it expires and not even registered with them.

Into the bin ;)

You never know. there are alot of dummies in this world. I am sure they are making some money doing it or they would have stoped by now.

Yea, if 1% of a million then that is still a lot of poeple and that's if they targeted a million domains. Still, sounds flacky. No site, money orders or check. Humm, sounds like no way to do a charge back...

John Diver said:
Hehe wonder how many people actually reply and send money to those companies...
Id say less than 1% ;)

It was quite tempting, it looked official and if it was timed right, i wouldnt want to lose my domain.

Yeah thats the ones Decker.
Remember the address. They dont even offer .net or .com registration from what I can see on their site and the letter they sent me as for a .net domain.

Have you ever got anything from them Decker since your in Scotland?

Yep had the 'oh you'd better or you'll lose it' shot from them - what they do is get people to 'pre-book' domain names too..

I have a load of domain names for various reasons and this stuff gets sent all the time.

Anyone getting this guff send it back as not known or something so they have to pay the return postage. It's a simple rip off. By simple rip off people :rolleyes: