1&1 hosting

kevin8008

Here is my review on 1&1 Hosting

Name and URL of hosting company: 1&1 hosting (www.1and1.com)
Hosted URL(s): www.telcohosting.com
Description of service(s) used: Shared hosting (starter plan).
How long have you been using the service(s): Used it for about 4 months
Detailed review: Had lots of issues with this hosting company. Including; Bad customer service, Customer Service reps didnt seem to comprehend/type English very well, Periods site was down and slow other times. Domains through them are just as bad, once i decided to change hosting i could not change nameservers myself i had to contact customer service and they change them for you after you go through a few security questions to verify it is you.
Pros: Lots of features, Reasonable pricing
Cons: bad uptime, slow at times, Bad customer support, Hard to change things like nameservers.
Would you recommend this company to your best friend? No.

Forgot to add, I am no longer with 1&1. You probably guessed that since i said i was trying to change the nameservers and it was difficult.

It would more rare to see a legitimate positive review of 1&1 than it would be to see a negative one. Pretty much pick any topic, and they're horrible at it. It's been a number of years since I used them, but bad hosts never really change. At most, they usually just get worse.

Their magazine ads are tacky. I'm getting tired of seeing them. :rolleyes2

Last time i used 1&1 was back in 2000 when i registered a domain through them as they had an offer on. but as soon as i was able to transfer the domain away I did as I was sick of their emails and phone calls trying to get me to take hosting with them.

Never used them and never will, they are one of 'those' Companies, that are too big and not good at handling it.

Despite also being money grabbers.

Godaddy is the same thing. Stick with hosting companies that are good at hosting and stick with domain providers that are good at domains.

- Daniel :)

Oh, another 1&1 negative review... Why am I not surprised? :rolleyes2 It seems like every web hosting community I have been on has one of these.

An acquaintance of mine was unfortunate enough to fall for their "free domain" offer, but didn't like their hosting services because they have a lot of downtime. Leaving aside the fact that they make all domain purchases set on auto-renewal, they also charge an extremely high price to get your domain back if you decide to move to another company.

Just goes to show that people really need to make sure they do their research on hosting before buying. 1&1 is just 1 of many large providers that have horrible services but people still go there. Why? Because these large companies have the money to brute force their way to the top of rankings and stay highly visible through paid ads, press releases, and backlinks.

Honestly people should stay away from these very visible and large providers.

Just goes to show that people really need to make sure they do their research on hosting before buying. 1&1 is just 1 of many large providers that have horrible services but people still go there. Why? Because these large companies have the money to brute force their way to the top of rankings and stay highly visible through paid ads, press releases, and backlinks.

Honestly people should stay away from these very visible and large providers.

I agree that people should do their research. We had clients that had terrible experience with 1and1 and we'll never recommend them.

But, I don't believe that people should stay away from other large and visible providers. We had a very good experience with big providers such as Rackspace, AWS, SoftLayer and others.

I agree with Collabora that big is not necessarily bad. Look at how many hosts go under leaving their clients stranded. I think I'd rather be with a big provider rather than with one that's operating on a shoestring.

but 1&1 is a big comapny that is bad.

google 1&1 reviews and look at various forums and you will see many negative comments on 1&1

I used them many years ago for domain services and they were bad then, looks like thay have not changed.

I'm not saying they're not bad as I have no personal reference, but large providers, due to their massive client bases, will naturally have more negative reviews than a provider with one to two hundred clients.

I call BS on a lot of reviews as simply sour grapes - billing issues & attempting stuff beyond the package they purchased. Let's face it - every provider messes up at some point. It's how they deal with issues that determine if they remain in business long term.

Problem with 1and1 is that they will turn you over to collections if you do not want to continue your services with them.

Happened to me several years ago. Purchased hosting and completed the 1 yr term and cancelled about 1 month before my services ended. Received a confirmation and they still billed my card. Emailed and after several back and forth emails they agreed to refund my money. After 4 weeks of waiting and getting no refund, I gave my info to my card and charged back.

Approx six months later, I received a collection notification for one year of hosting, charge back fee and collection fees. Sent rebuttal with all my info (confirmation and emails) and that one was dropped only to have it come back with another company later. Horrible company and customer service!

I a have to admit, that even though 1&1's billing policies are strict, they are ususally in the right. It would be nice if they considered "good faith" in dealing with delinquents, but they are under no obligaiton to.

All we here is story after story (Terry posted a good example above) of how a customer cancelled after the deadline explained in the TOS, or instead of cancelling they just ended the automatic recurring payement, and how as a result, the evil 1&1 lived up the their end of the TOS.

I am sorry, but a contract is a contract. And even though I have to live with the smell, I have to side with 1&1 in these situations.

In this industry you get too many people that just stop using services and never use hosts cancel process and then complain when they still get invoiced or collections calling.

We have one at the minute overdue by 3 days on his annual payment, looking at records he has not logged onto his account in 2012 and his email bouces as the domain he used for emails expired last month, so i know their is not much chance of him paying, but his invoice will remain active and his account will go to auto terminate.

In this industry you get too many people that just stop using services and never use hosts cancel process and then complain when they still get invoiced or collections calling.

We have one at the minute overdue by 3 days on his annual payment, looking at records he has not logged onto his account in 2012 and his email bouces as the domain he used for emails expired last month, so i know their is not much chance of him paying, but his invoice will remain active and his account will go to auto terminate.

Why not just call them and verify their intentions? :)

Why not just call them and verify their intentions? :)

i sent a text to their number as they gave mobile number and got no reply, so when i called it just went to answer phone

Their last login Date: 04/11/2011 16:07 so it looks like they have packed up.
the domain they used for the email on their account was not hosted with us and the whois shows

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 09-Aug-2010
Expiry date: 09-Aug-2012
Last updated: 01-Aug-2012

Registration status:
Renewal required.
*** This registration has been SUSPENDED. ***

they use 123-reg

Last edited: