Your email addresses

Forum4Hosts-Jo

What i want to know is, how do you manage your email? How many addresses are full addresses and how many are forwarding?
ie.
I have
sales@ukspace4u.co.uk
support@ukspace4u.co.uk
design@...co.uk
cancel@...co.uk
jo.houston@...co.uk

all full addresses and then
kev@...co.uk
jo@...co.uk
ian@...co.uk

all as forwarding addresses

Okie...

I utilize the following mailboxes:

kevin@tek-studios.net
sales@tek...net
abuse@tek...net
accounts@tek...net

k.harris@tek...net forwards to kevin@tek...net...

ha thanks for that Kevin, i forgot to create the abuse one.
With the new site i intend to get the customers using the right addresses, atm its a pain because they send all of their support requests to sales@ukspace4u.co.uk
I decided on the cancel address after the hassle with earhost, trying to find a way to cancel.

I generally have my clients log a ticket in the helpdesk for support and account inquries. I use the accounts address for sending welcome email and stuff, about it. And I use sales for, well, sales inquiries. I note in my policies that abuse is to be used for informing us of policy breaches, etc...

sales@ and support@ emails go straight into an automated ticket system (a brilliant custom inhouse built one :D - similar to PerlDesk i believe) and can hence get used by most staff. We've got a number of other addresses (real accounts not forwarders) such as accounts@, alerts@, domains@, abuse@ plus all important accounts have backup accounts where mails automatically gets copied. We use IMAP4 for most of the shared addresses which makes life a heck of a lot easier. The account i make a lot of use of is junk@ 8). Other accounts have programs sitting on the end parsing incoming mails such as those that communicate with Nominets systems (automaton). Obviously everyone in the company has their own address also.

I have a similiar type setup to mark - although our inhouse system is PHP based and everyone knows that beats down ASP ;) We use MRA for any non-crucial but important e-mail addresses and forwarders (incase someone does something silly and e-mails support@domain-control.co.uk or something).

And staff have firstname.surname@agccworld.com pop accounts to do with as they wish.

although our inhouse system is PHP based and everyone knows that beats down ASP

LOL - and who said it was ASP? Perl actually. :D

Cheers
May I remind u that PHP beats down perl too.

LOL - you can do all the reminding you like :D . Not much good for someone that only knows Perl or VBScript though is it?

BTW - ASP is a technology not a language so to speak - Within ASP (in a single page if you want) you can use VBScript, Perlscript, J(ava)Script, Python, Rexx (plus loads of other languages)..... and i believe PHPScript - though don't quote me on that. Not sure why someone would want to - unless they want their scripts (Functions, Methods etc) to be avilable for use in one of the other languages or vice-versa. Eg - i could write a Function in PerlScript or PHPScript or whatever, and access it from VBScript all in the same page; therefore you could if you wish just combine the languages and use each for what they are best at. :lol:

So really the argument that PHP is better than ASP is a bit of a misnomer (sp) as one is a programming language and the other is a scripting host / scripting technology. :D :shock: [HMMM - STOPS AND THINKS FOR A MO] Is PHP considered just a language?

Anyhow - ASP (Classic) is old hat now - ASP.Net is the way to go. BTW - are there any PHP.Net initiatives?
Cheers