windows vs linux

Hi friends which os is easy to configure and manage windows or cent os

The first thing is what do you need from your server at all :)
You need to start from that

Windows or Linux is not some religious choice but just a tool you need to use to do the job.

If I need setup the infrastructure for the Windows office I'll most likely install Windows Active Directory environment, and will configure group policies for them.

If I need web servers environment for our dev team, including git repositories, jenkins, few test stands along with production server - I'll go to the Linux :)

That's it.

I disagree with all of the comments about Windows being easier to use even for a beginner. I installed Windows server once and couldn't figure out to do the simplest things. I installed Linux along with Webmin and and wow I could figure out how to do anything I wanted.

The only reason to use Windows as a server is if the software being used required it. I can easily see this in an office environment. But not in a normal web hosting environment.

I like Windows as a desktop. I'm using it right now. But I believe in using the right tool for the job. I use all of the OS's for different jobs. But that's just my opinion.

If you understand Linux, it is not hard, and easy to complete a job. Example, viewing seraching aroud the log with millions of lines, is painful in Windows, while LInux is much easier.

Windows is more close to your daily use PC .

Hi,

You cannot actually compare both, as they both are unique in their own ways. There are softwares and applications that you can host on Windows and not on Linux, like the ASP sites, so that becomes advantage for Windows.

Hello,
With your query it is understood that you want manage your server by yourself. So it is depends on your expertise ability in Windows and Linux.
So if you are good in Linux it is best and more secure is Linux.

Linux is giving you more for sure, because you can easy touch some things in the backend. Windows is less configurable about that. And for that reason you have so many distributions in Linux. They are created for special purposes and you are choosing them for yours.

Even Linux isn't that hard to use these days. There is plenty of documentation and tutorials that even complete newbies can just copy & paste commands.

The fact that I don't have to worry about licensing is enough to sway me.