What's your take on Google photos capping their storage limit to 15GB?

BudgetVM-Winnie

When it was launched back in 2015, Google Photos promised unlimited photo uploads. But starting June 2021 - In just a few weeks' time - the storage will be capped to 15GB per user account. If you intend to store more photos/videos, you will need to pay for extra storage space. Is 15GB sustainable in the long run and are there other better alternatives?

I think 15GB is very generous and was always surprised that they would tout unlimited. I logged into my Photos account a few weeks ago to check on things and just logged in again right now. 3.91GB is my current usage. Granted I like to clean things up and keep most of my stuff offline anyway.

All that said, I'm on a paid plan with Google for Google Drive - 1TB - so everything is shared under one account (Drive, Photos & gMail).

I don't think the 15GB cap is going to have much impact on the majority of users.

While it may not be sustainable, the 15GB cap is more than fair in the first place. Also, it's probably not about having better alternatives, but about convenience.

Storing anything on Google seems to me like a terrible idea. Hoping for something that has actual costs, but is offered for free to be unlimited is even more terrible. So - less terrible things remain, the better.

I don't think the 15GB cap is going to have much impact on the majority of users.

I think that's true, 90% of people who use it will not reach that cap. Of the 10% that do, maybe half will pay Google for more storage and the other half will look for an alternative but probably keep other services with Google anyway, so G loses nothing.