What stage should you upgrade from VPS to a dedicated server?

When do you think someone should upgrade from a VPS account to a dedicated server?

What is the best move from a VPS to dedicated and keep the same level of management that you would have with a VPS, so it would just mean using WHM/cPanel and a bit of shell but everything else is taken care of, like with a VPS.

To buy a fully managed server from a DC?
To buy a server and hire someone to manage it fully?
To buy a server from a company that does server management?

Are you using the VPS for reselling or for your own site?

Either way I would keep track of the CPU load.

If you are on a UML type of VPS I would keep track of your Memory % used.

On a Virturozzo, I guess I would try to keep an eye on the breakdown of the % of memory used you can look at in WHM.

I would guess that if you are at a VPS with 512MB of guaranteed RAM. and you are topping that out with a high server load I would guess above 6.

It would be time. Dinix/ServInt are supposed to be good fully managed Dedicated. For less Managed I believe the Nocster is ok.

If you are getting memory errors, the site is slow, if you are going into swap space a lot.

You can also use stuff like JPCache, and or MMcache if you are having CPU load problems and you are using PHP and or a database to help drop the cpu load down by up to 50%.

Hello Rasputinj

Thank you for all your suggestions
I am using it to sell hosting on to my own customers.

My main problem is that Im using a lot of space and bandwidth and because of the price on a VPS, I think over time I could save if I moved to a dedicated server as I would still have more space to grow also.

What would be a rough price to move to a dedicated server but have the same level of management I have with a VPS?
I would rather just admin through WHM and use shell when needed so someone else could manage the server.

Thanks again

Well,

I would move when I see a Performance Degradation at my VPS, I would swich to the Option #2 Get a Server from Someplace and Hire Someone to do the Job, the DC's that Offer Fully Management are not always "Fully Managed" they have a Policy about that, and they will help you ONLY if you REQUEST IT.

~Francisco

How much do you think I should pay someone to manage my server?
I can still do a lot on it but I would need them to do kernel upgrades, maybe even setup the server etc.