What software/services do YOU have to have on your servers?

whmcsguru

Not sure if this exists, but I haven't seen it anywhere in here, so I'll give it a shot, eh? What software/services are installed as soon as you setup a server? Here's my list:

cPanel (dnsonly or hosting, it's a must)

Duo Linux. Mandatory duo push login authentication (for root only)

CSF/LFD . Way better than the alternative, and the most intense iptables interface I've seen. Very easy to use and customizable.

nano/pico . I cut my teeth on pico. A lot of people prefer vi, but not me!

MariaDB. I've given up on MySQL any more. Maria is a drop in replacement for MySQL itself and it's just way better when dealing with larger databases and caching (which I do a ton of).

Ncftp. I cut my teeth on this when I limited myself to Linux only for a time. Still use this one quite heavily. Probably the best command line ftp client out there.

The rest really depends on the server and what it's used for, but those are my absolute must have on every server. What's yours?

Nano. Much better than vi
Wget. I think this is self explanatory.
Screen. When you run multiple ssh instances and you are unsure on the stability of your connection to the server.

I forgot about wget/curl. I guess being used to RH servers kind of has me spoiled, since it's installed by default.

- Nginx
- Apache
- csf
- nano
- MariaDB and Percona xtraDB cluster
- Kubernetes
- NodeJS

Not sure if this exists, but I haven't seen it anywhere in here, so I'll give it a shot, eh? What software/services are installed as soon as you setup a server? Here's my list:

cPanel (dnsonly or hosting, it's a must)

Duo Linux. Mandatory duo push login authentication (for root only)

CSF/LFD . Way better than the alternative, and the most intense iptables interface I've seen. Very easy to use and customizable.

nano/pico . I cut my teeth on pico. A lot of people prefer vi, but not me!

MariaDB. I've given up on MySQL any more. Maria is a drop in replacement for MySQL itself and it's just way better when dealing with larger databases and caching (which I do a ton of).

Ncftp. I cut my teeth on this when I limited myself to Linux only for a time. Still use this one quite heavily. Probably the best command line ftp client out there.

The rest really depends on the server and what it's used for, but those are my absolute must have on every server. What's yours?

1. nano. I didn't like vi at all :)
2. htop, atop, iotop, sysstat. Need to have the ability to check server resources consumption anytime.
3. nmap. Often need to check which ports are open.
4. mc. Just used to it.
5. WebMin or ServerSuit as control panel sometimes if I need provide access to the server for someone else.
6. Puppet. Using it to automate things on the server.

Other tools are specific from the server role.

csf is really a must in webserver. And PRM monitors the process table on a given system and matches process id's with set resource limits in the config file or per-process based rules.

We use CloudLinux, cPanel, LiteSpeed, CXS, CSF, SpamExperts, R1Soft (are looking for a replacement) and Patchman.

Hi,

Scanning tools like
1. Maldet.
2. Clamscan.
3. Chkrootkit.
4. Rkhunter.

ConfigServer Modules like:
1. CSF.
2. CMM.
3. CMQ.
4. CMC.

Mailscanner is also a good application to have on the server..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jean_garcia2