What factors determine whether to go with Dedicated or Colocation

I rent server as well as do co-location in same facility, you just need to figure out what is cheaper in long run.

E.g. If i need a low end server that costs around 100$ per month if i rent it, then i'll go for rent because my facility charges minimum 90$ to 1U colocation.

But now in another case i needed a high end server

Dual Opteron 6272
256 GB RAM
10x1TB SSD with RAID Controller
Unmetered Gigabit Port
IPMI
MB
Chasis etc....

Now since i'm from India it's not possible for me build server and then ship it to US, so i contacted my NOC Partner and asked them for how much can they buy hardware for me with above configuration

They gave me a quote of around 7000USD and now if rent this same server from them it would cost me about 1000USD Per month so in this case i decided to go for co-location and i'm just paying them 299$ USD per month now for co-location

So you just need to find out what's best for your business and/or cost effective

Depends on your needs. Colocation is cheaper, But there is nothing like the service of bare metal dedicated servers.

A server has same performance if it is marketed as a dedicated or a colo server. The only difference is the owner, and servers don't have feelings.

A server has same performance if it is marketed as a dedicated or a colo server. The only difference is the owner, and servers don't have feelings.

I think what he meat was that Colo normally does not come with a data centre servicing the hardware in case of failure

I think what he meat was that Colo normally does not come with a data centre servicing the hardware in case of failure

All the colos I have done (its been a couple years since the last one) have included "remote hands." You may have to pay for some work. You also get a place to keep spare parts (although you may have to ask for it). Its also nice to pick a datacenter nearby for diy -- there are a lot of them by me so I've never colo'd a server more than a few miles away.

Last edited: