What do you consider to be the best free Control Panel?

Like many have said Kloxo is a great free control panel. But, if you have a little per month to spent on a license, cPanel without a doubt.

Best Panels

We like Webmin a lot when it comes to a great panel for free.

Kloxo is a runner up but is largely outdated and no longer updated/supported since the main developer passed away in a car accident.

Zpanel is quite insecure, Kloxo even more. I recommend i-MSCP. It's under fast development, so bugs and security holes are getting fixed very fast and also it's got a lot of features.

Mind backing that up? How so insecure?
Sure. Kloxo is quite buggy from time to time (for example in the past I had issues that /script/fixweb was messing up my vHosts, qmail had too low memory limits to even work properly and a lot more I don't exactly recall right now) and also there is little to no development, it doesn't even support CentOS 6 yet. The slow development means that vulnerabilities won't get fixed any time soon.

ZPanelX, well.. I've installed it once and it uses chmod 777 by default for the www directories and all files in it. Tools such as phpmyadmin are all located in /etc/, being executed from there and also have chmod 777. That enough? :p

When I was learning Linux I used Webmin, so that is what I naturally suggest to anyone who asks me. However I'd be interested in trying kloxo at some point.

I actually had a client 2 days ago ask me about this and he tried webmin but found it too complicated, so he just forked out the $15 for a cpanel license.

Ooo zPanel looks quite nice. Will be setting up a test server to try that panel out.

I've never really used any free website control panel, always been with DirectAdmin or cPanel, primarily cPanel. Will have to play with some of these panels though, love new software.

Wow, I had no idea there were free ones. I always had cPanel for free as a reseller, but I knew the commercial one cost $$; Now I have looked around and played with demos, Webmin is most user friendly to start out with but not sure about real world application

There are only few ones which are suitable for production/shared environments imo. That's Webmin/Usermin, which isn't free anymore for commercial use, then i-MSCP which is the best one imo for that purpose and also ISPConfig, which is nice too.

The best free control panel that I have come across is Virtualmin/Webmin. It may not be everyones cup of tea, but it does good what it does! :D

Other notable mentions will of course be kloxo and zpanel. I haven't fiddled with ISPConfig, but have heard good reviews about it.

zpanel (free look-alike of cpanel) seems interesting.. hopefully will get better in a couple of years but until then, webmin rules!

zpanel (free look-alike of cpanel) seems interesting.. hopefully will get better in a couple of years but until then, webmin rules!

Only a real look alike if you have the theme released by a member of their community. Otherwise its quite different is several ways I think.