Was your first host free, premium or yourself?

BlackStorm

When you first uploaded your website, was it to a free or premium host?
Or did you give a shot at hosting it yourself?
Did the hosting work out?Did you need a lot of help and did you get it from your host or find the help you needed yourself?

My first site was on a free host (Dont think they are even going now) but it was a good while ago.
It was pretty good but didnt have a lot of options, it was very very simple and you could only do your page by editing the HTML online or uploading one file at a time via the browser.
The editor was just like using notepad but I cant complain, it was free afterall ;)
I never asked my host for help, I think its a lot better to find what you need yourself, I remember things a lot more that way.
I dont think there were too many people around that could help then anyway, didnt know of any forums going then to get help like here :)

My first host was AngelFire when I was about 9 years old, my mother got me into it, and I started learning HTML from there.

The first time I had access to PHP was when I started helping out a friend with his company, about a year or two ago, and he gave me a little bit of free space and bandwidth. Ever since then, I have used nothing but premium.

when i was younger i hosted with freesites like xoom, angelfire, etc... i eventually went to a paid subdomain, then i bought my first domain ($70+). Eventually I got sick of crappy hosting companies and my friend and I rented a server, and what to later become hybrid network was born...

My first site was done in hmm.... maybe 8-9 years ago for an old school project. And at that time.... I put my web site on my dads account at his work.... so it was FREE.

I used geocities once... 3 days later stopped using it because it was so damn annoying uploading files in a GUI web interface, and because advertisements were a pain. From then on all hosting was done from my own machines... whether from my home computer on my DSL line or on servers I pay for.

I started getting hosted with Brinkster originally, they were free, allowed asp and had no ads. But I didnt like the way it was laid out, with no access to ftp and no php, so I moved on. That only lasted about a month, but it was a good entry into the internet world. That was a good 5 or so years ago. I cant remember it exactly though

Welcome Max and GamesCreation :)
Good to have you as part of the community!

What was expage like as a host Max?Did you start hosting just for your own site or also for others?

Was Brinkster using windows servers do you know GamesCreation?
I havent used either of those hosts myself so not really sure what they are like but I have heard of a lot of people using Brinkster before

Brinkster is windows, as far as I know, and was using ms access as a database last time I used it.

It did have reasonable speed and was quite good, and I recommended it to a few people seeking free hosts, and as there were no banners at the time (it was supported by full host members) it seemed a good choice. Now they have annoying javascript adverts, which has put me off them a lot. Seems like lycos now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zentekinfosoft