vpshosting.org.uk

d3wlin

Hello,

I have vpshosting.org.uk (VPS Hosting) domain name. It would be great to hear your thoughts on it.

Your appraisal appreciated.

Last edited:
A very awkward name in my view - .org.uk
Great if it had either one of them. Don't see more than registration value, unless it gets fair type-in traffic.

Although this thread is more than 2 years old I would like to note that in 2010 the domain was sold for a mid $xxx amount. Even being a .org.uk domain, it still contains the keyphrase "vps hosting", and in UK alone the phrase is searched almost 3,000 times a month (and growing).

That is a great testament to that the domain is worth what the client is ready to pay for it.

Congratulations on a good sale and thank you for the update!

I actually didn't know that there were any .org.uk domains out there - had never seen that extension before. The .co.uk and .net.uk were the main two I've seen - never seen the .org.uk extension

Definitely a big congrats on the sale - nice job!

The .org.uk really kills it. Still, if it was developed someone in the UK would pick it up..I would say undeveloped it's worth reg. fee

The extension really kills it. You're not going to get too much for than a registration fee for it. If I were you, I'd use it for my own company.

The extension really kills it. You're not going to get too much for than a registration fee for it. If I were you, I'd use it for my own company.

true

just checked on domainappraisal.co.uk and it states

vpshosting.org.uk - Appraisal and Valuation

Domain:
vpshosting.org.uk
TLD:
.org.uk
Keyword:
vps hosting
Estimated Local Search:
3625 (Monthly Search - includes Google, Bing and Yahoo)
Approximate CPC:
$33.71 / £20.9 / €25.96
Domain Value:
$70.00 / £43 / €53 (Approximate Conversion)

See my comment where it's stated that the domain was sold for mid $xxx in 2010.
Although this thread is more than 2 years old I would like to note that in 2010 the domain was sold for a mid $xxx amount. Even being a .org.uk domain, it still contains the keyphrase "vps hosting", and in UK alone the phrase is searched almost 3,000 times a month (and growing).

.org.uk domains are quite popular in the UK, and perfectly used by both commercial and non-commercial entities.

See my comment where it's stated that the domain was sold for mid $xxx in 2010.

.org.uk domains are quite popular in the UK, and perfectly used by both commercial and non-commercial entities.

yes, but org as in non profit organisation.

Nominet has been know to revoke .org.uk domains from those that are not a true non profit organisation.

yes .org.uk tends to be used more and more in the UK as generally the .co.uk and .com TLDs are already taken.

yes, but org as in non profit organisation.

Nominet has been know to revoke .org.uk domains from those that are not a true non profit organisation.

yes .org.uk tends to be used more and more in the UK as generally the .co.uk and .com TLDs are already taken.

Nominet do not impose any restrictions to the status of an individual or organisation when registering a .co.uk or .org.uk and they certainly wouldn't revoke one on those grounds. If you heard a name was revolked, there must have been a serious breach of another rule.

http://www.nominet.org.uk/uk-domain-names/registering-uk-domain/choosing-domain-name/rules

4.4 We do not impose restrictions on your status as applicant for the registration of a Domain Name in the following SLDs ("Open SLDs"):
1. 4.4.1 .co.uk; or
2. 4.4.2 .org.uk.

In the SLD Charter of the SLD Rules for the Open SLDs we do set out certain intentions regarding the class of applicant or use of registrations of the Domain Name which we assume you will comply with when applying for a registration of a Domain Name within an Open SLD. However, we do not forbid applications, and will take no action in respect of registrations that do not comply with the SLD Charters. We may request certain information from you regarding your legal identity when you make an application for or seek to amend the registration of a Domain Name in the Open SLDs.
Steve

Nominet do not impose any restrictions to the status of an individual or organisation when registering a .co.uk or .org.uk and they certainly wouldn't revoke one on those grounds. If you heard a name was revolked, there must have been a serious breach of another rule.

http://www.nominet.org.uk/uk-domain-names/registering-uk-domain/choosing-domain-name/rules

Steve

where did i say they impose restrictions i said "Nominet has been know to revoke" which is totally different

This i know as when i was involved in a local non-profit heritage railway, i set up their website and registered a .org.uk domain in their name. several weeks later the organisation got a letter from Nominet asking for them to be contacted. as i was the webmaster and gen. sec. of the society i contacted Nominet and was told they had a report the domain was not being used for a non profit organisation, so they told the registrar to suspend the domain until we could provide them proof of the organisations status.

where did i say they impose restrictions i said "Nominet has been know to revoke" which is totally different
Is it? Why would they revoke it if they don't?

You implied they do by stating:

Nominet work rigidly by rules - and the rules essentially state any type of organisation can register a .org.uk domain name - regardless of status.

This i know as when i was involved in a local non-profit heritage railway, i set up their website and registered a .org.uk domain in their name. several weeks later the organisation got a letter from Nominet asking for them to be contacted. as i was the webmaster and gen. sec. of the society i contacted Nominet and was told they had a report the domain was not being used for a non profit organisation, so they told the registrar to suspend the domain until we could provide them proof of the organisations status.

I hope you complained about this then. What breach of the rules did they claim in the letter? What was the outcome? The rules are very clear on this.

As a Nominet member and over 16 years in the industry, I've never heard of another case like this.

Steve

Is it? Why would they revoke it if they don't?

You implied they do by stating:

Nominet work rigidly by rules - and the rules essentially state any type of organisation can register a .org.uk domain name - regardless of status.

I hope you complained about this then. What breach of the rules did they claim in the letter? What was the outcome? The rules are very clear on this.

As a Nominet member and over 16 years in the industry, I've never heard of another case like this.

Steve
organisation is a narrow gauge heritage railway

all the letter stated was they needed the registrant to contact them, but to irregularities with the domain

when i called they stated they had a complaint that they must follow up on that the domain was not been used by an organisation but was being used by a company and they needed proof faxed or posted to them to prove the domain was being used by a non profit organisation. even this was not good enough for them, until the groups legal team informed them that the details they were sent proved 100% the groups status as non profit making and if they did not released the domain then action would be taken and they would be faced with all sorts of charges from legal to lose of trade as the site was information on times/ticket prices along with group booking forms etc.
It was then they relented and apologies and stated they would give an extra years registration for the issues they caused. the extra year showed up on a whois search, but this was not the end of the issue. shortly after the original renewal date, we noticed the site showed a holding page in arabic, so first thing as i also hosted the site, has the server been hacked, checked and nothing site files etc were all their, so checked the whois and this is when i noticed the domain now showed as being registered by someone in egypt. straight onto 123-reg and I was told i never renewed the domain so it went back to be re registered so i lost this and i would need to communicate with the new registrant. i then copied over the email confirmation we got from nominet about the extra year, but 123-reg said nothing to do with them, we never renewed so tough. contacted nominet and after nearly a week before getting a reply as i was told to email their dispute team, they agreed to give us back the domain.

The extension may be awkward, as others have pointed out, but that has little to do search results. A person may not be able to remember it well, but that's what favorites folders are for.

A great keyword domain that could be ranked well for the term, but personally doesn't mean business. You probably won't be able to start a company with that TLD.