Uploading mp3 files which have no known copyright?

BlackStorm

Hey,
A few people I am hosting have uploaded mp3 files but I dont know if they are copyright or not.
They are from a different country and I have tried a search on the artist and track name but didnt get any results.
Im not sure if the tracks have any copyright now.
Do you think it would be best to leave it because no copyright info was found on the artist or track, or should I ask them to remove it?

They are Dance or Trance tracks so the vocals are in English but remixed, the arent a remix of any songs I have heard before so i really dont know if they are legal or not

John Diver said:
They are Dance or Trance tracks so the vocals are in English but remixed, the arent a remix of any songs I have heard before so i really dont know if they are legal or not

Your best Bet is to ask them... ;)

If you receive an Email from the Owner or someone who Represent the DJ's you can Take them down... :D

Cheers!

Yeah I asked them and they said they are from Holland and very big which is why Im wondering if they are copyright or not.

I asked them if they are but they said they werent.
If they have some tracks which are a remix of songs that are copyright for certain, what do you think would be the best thing to do for that?

Is it ok to have a remix of a track that is copyright or are the laws the same?

John Diver said:
Yeah I asked them and they said they are from Holland and very big which is why Im wondering if they are copyright or not.

I asked them if they are but they said they werent.
If they have some tracks which are a remix of songs that are copyright for certain, what do you think would be the best thing to do for that?

Is it ok to have a remix of a track that is copyright or are the laws the same?

I think it's ok... Just wait a Claim... ;)

ok...are you responsible for your client's content? Have you got something in your Terms and Conditions to say you're NOT?

If not, why not? ;)

I understand as a responible host it's our job to police our servers as best we can, but the burden of proof doesn't rest with you. If you get a complaint, suspend the site and investigate. Till then, carry on regardless! :D

My advice. Not necessarily the best advice. Usual disclaimers apply. :)

Yeah my TOS does specify that Im not responsible and will not be held liable because of any content hosted so I guess that covers me.
Just still wanted to check anyway just incase, always better to try prevent any problems than deal with them when they arise I think ;)

Yeah well if you think they are copyrighted but can't find any documentation, and you are covered in your TOS I wouldnt be too worried.

Thanks everyone, I decided just to leave them on, another account had copyright mp3 files and they have been removed.
I gave a warning that the account would be terminate if copyright files were ever found on the site again.

John,

What usually happends in this situation if you are not sure it is best to leave it alone and if something does come up your server admin would let you know. The server admin is usually the datacenter letting you know there was a complaint and usually gives you at least 24 hours to remove the offending content.

John Diver said:
Hey,
A few people I am hosting have uploaded mp3 files but I dont know if they are copyright or not.
They are from a different country and I have tried a search on the artist and track name but didnt get any results.
Im not sure if the tracks have any copyright now.
Do you think it would be best to leave it because no copyright info was found on the artist or track, or should I ask them to remove it?

How did you know they uploaded mp3? Can it be seen with WHM?

You can search the server for files of a certain extension or that have certain things in the filename, not sure if you can do it on a reseller account though, these were on a new server I just got and put new accounts on it.
You might need root access if you want to search, never tried it on a reseller account but dont think you have the permissions to do it, ask your host if you are able to search the server for certain files.
I doubt you would though as you could only search the sites which you are hosting under your reseller package