Unlimited Bandwidth

Unlimted bandwidth is not possible Just stop and think about it for a sec. Bandwidth costs money.How can they give you unlimted bandwidth?

Claiming 'unlimited bandwidth' is just a marketing ploy. It just isn't true or possible. I have been a reseller at http://hostspring.com for a year now. The plans good and their technical support is solid.

There is no such animal as Unlimted data transfer.If your website begins to bring in lots of traffic you may find that the "Unlimted"Hosting company you signed up with will shut down your account and cite some clause in their contract.

So what happens to the $1500 just spent on e-zine advertising,and 5000+ vistors your getting per day?

Better find another hosting company quick!

Two common terms - Unlimited and Unmetered. They are different yet the same.

Unlimited - better not get popular
Unmetered - the company does not know how to look at stats.

There are pleanty of companies though that state a specific transfer, but do not employ alot of research each month to check if you are over the limit or not. Basicly if you stay quiet with them, they will forget you are there, and as long as you are not doing major amounts over the allotment, they are just going to chalk it up to a good month for you and go about thier way.

Unlimited data-transfer is not possible. I can't imagine a host offering unlimited transfer letting you push 100gb as the host has to pay for it which will cost more than the $3.99 price tags most of these plans come with.

Same goes for unlimited disk space, if you do find an unlimited hard drive good luck trying to format it :D

yep...another example of a scam. I should sign up for $5/mo and then upload a 50 MB file.....and proceed to write a script to download it over and over and over again.

I wonder how long it would be until I was kicked.

When are people going to get it? BANDWIDTH COSTS MONEY!....YOU CAN'T OFFER UNLIMITED BANDWIDTH FOR $5/MONTH!

bill

A lot of stories can be heard about sites being suspended by hosts offering unlimited bandwidth because the account used up too much resources. :)

ok I asked this company about hosting my database which uses a lot of bandwidth.... not a problem for a company that offers UNLIMITED bandwidth. Here is the reply :

Yes, the bandwidth is unlimited. However, there's another problem for us to host your account. You will have to realize that we are doing share hostings. If we host your site, there are still about other clients that we need to host. The bandwidth will be too much for any share hosting server to handle. Therefore, we cannot host your site.

I think that says it all about these scam sites :rolleyes:

Yes, unlimited bandwidth is indeed a marketing strategy. It is not realistic nor cost effective for any company. Bandwidth is an investment that every ISP or Web Host must make, and they are liable for the data transfer used on each server.

Especially on shared hosting environments, a host must allow for sufficient data transfer (as well as other resources, CPU, etc.) for all the customers on the server. Therefore, they usually insert rules into their terms/policies that enforce them to penalize a site (take it down for example) that is using excessive resources and tying up the server.

Much of the time, hosts that practice this strategy are usually gambling on the idea that most sites will not actually use much data transfer for their account at all, meaning that they never actually take advantage of the unlimited offer - if even a few sites on one server greatly increase their usage - the server is more likely to crash altogether.

If you are adament about choosing a host with unlimited data transfer, I suggest that you carefully read any SLA or use policies they have.

As has been said, unlimited bandwidth is not for real.

The companys offering this are counting on most of the clients to have small, unpopular web pages.

They write into their agreements something about limits on server resources for each site.

That way if a site gets to using too much of the server they can make you move.

They must be making money at it or the model would not be used so much.

Realy, most sites don't use 5 MB of disk space or 1 Gig of bandwidth a month.
So thats how it works.

I host several small sites that don't use hardly anything.

Any company who advertises unlimited bandwidth should be avoided at all cost. If they will mislead you on the bandwidth, they will not hesitate to mislead yo on other things as well.

Well simply banwidth is unlimited till you limit it. Unlimited banwidth is not possible unless your super rich, and can afford the server and the OC-3092 line, even then it would be for yourself.

Last edited: