Two vs One

GordyMac

I recently decided to start PierHosting.com for shells and HostEffects.com for webhosting, but I was actually thinking, would'nt it be better to have them combined as one and offer both services from the same company, that way we could increase staff for the same price of one company, more staff to help with support..

What do you think?

<!--QuoteBegin-Andrew+Oct 21 2003, 01:11 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Andrew @ Oct 21 2003, 01:11 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> nice to be able to differentiate yourself from other hosts - shells is a nice way to do that [/b][/quote]
absolutely :)

You could still keep them seperate but your staff could work on both sites and you could share resources for both sites, eg. helpdesk, live chat etc.

Support could be combined so your staff will be working for both sites.

Yeah.. I was thinking either to keep the two under separate names, but have common support and staff, or I was aslo thinking on combining them and offer both web and shells from one company.. still undecided.

If I were in your shoes Gordy I would keep both companies seperate (the sites that is). However I would make the part of the same network.

Like have Pierhosting your main company name and have hostingeffects a branch of pierhosting. Then alont the top in the hostingeffect.com page I would put a bar saying "HostingEffects.com part of the PierHosting.com Network"

Then have Pierhostings.com Network link back to your pier hosting.

This way you have 2 companies, each with different plans and advertising areas. You could still share the same resources such as helpdesk, faq, and support staff.

Just my $0.02

Hmm.. yeah that could work actually.. kind of free advertising for PierHosting.com too :)

Thanks for the help I think I am going to do that.

I think Jonathan's idea is great Gordy, I would go with that if I were you.

I still think you could share the support between both sites and make it support for your network rather than for each site

Well usually for IRC, my shells are for Eggdrops (bots), BNC (mask your IP/HostName with a vHost) and IRCd (IRC Server).

I've reached a decision, what I did was left PierHosting.com as my IRC Shell company, and HostEffects.com as my webhosting company, but, what I did was on the HostEffects website I added a little "note" on the bottom saying Powered by www.PierHosting.com and up in the top corner, I added "Division of PierHosting.com"

<!--QuoteBegin-gooooogle+Oct 21 2003, 08:11 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gooooogle @ Oct 21 2003, 08:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Could someone please explain to me what a shell host is? [/b][/quote]
A shell is just an account on a machine. However in todays wor;d most people refer to a shell as an account on a unix based system to be used either for an eggdrop or BNC. (Both IRC related items).