Tube/Video Site Dedicated Servers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chatecak

Account Disabled
I am setting up a new tube/video site and I would like some information from you guys that know everything about web hosting and dedicated servers.
Dedicated Server 1 will be the front end, database, etc.
Dedicated Server 2 will be where the actual video content will be stored.
Which of the servers needs to be more powerful of the two?
Does Server 1 need alot of bandwidth and storage?

Are the videos going to be protected (like a user subscription type thing), or are you just using it for hosting MP4 videos?

If it's just for the MP4 videos, then you don't need much in terms of CPU processing, but you should give it a chunk of memory for good measure.

The real power (processing the page, database display) will be on your first server. The 2nd would only be used from a streeming point of view.

If you're making it a membership type thing, I generally put the videos on Amazon and then protect the folders and files using s3member for urls etc.

Thanks a lot for your reply. It is very informative.

I'd like to ask about the choice of server location for me.
If I live in Netherlands and the site will be hosted in France. Will it influence somehow on speed connectivity?

The important questions are where your target audience is going to be. If your target is people in the Netherlands, then your server should be located there. If you're targeting western Europe, then France or Germany are usually pretty good hubs for hosting. If your target is in the USA, then you want a server there.

I saw many hosts that were in my budget, provided the resources I needed and where not oversold but where usually in the UK or Canada, which was unacceptable for me because most of my members are from the US. This obviously depends on your target audience, if you are targeting people in Australia increase your budget and get Australian hosting because it will be alot faster than if you cheap out and get US hosting.

can you tell me more about your Dedicated server requirement . like which processor , Ram , Hdd/SSD , and budget for the Dedicated server so that i can suggest you

Beyond finding which web hosts are out there, it’s a matter of digging through different plans, comparing inclusions, and checking customer reviews.

I guess this really all depends on your sites traffic levels etc, if you are really starting something new from scratch you would be best to start out with a single server and once you find a need for more grow from there.
Your main thing to watch out for is how much bandwidth you're using and what the hosts charge.

The last thing you want is to use 500Mbps and your server coming with 100Mbps on a 1gbps port you could end up with a high bill bursting over the bandwidth limits.

I am setting up a new tube/video site and I would like some information from you guys that know everything about web hosting and dedicated servers.
Dedicated Server 1 will be the front end, database, etc.
Dedicated Server 2 will be where the actual video content will be stored.
Which of the servers needs to be more powerful of the two?
Does Server 1 need alot of bandwidth and storage?
It's been a month and a half. I'm curious what you finally decided to do on this project?

What is their policy if you need to change your hosting configuration mid-contract? For example, if you start out in a shared server configuration and need to move to a dedicated or VPS environment during your contract term, is that allowed? Are there penalties?

Status
Not open for further replies.