trying to register a deleted domain but whois conflict

imported_gazebo

A domain I want was showing as PENDINGDELETE with whois.sc last week. A few days ago according to whois.sc, it was dropped and now shows as available.

Same thing with hostway and web.com. But I read bad reports about registering a domain with hostway, and I haven't found enough information about web.com to be keen to register the domain through them.

I'd like to register the domain with namecheap (or registerfly) but both show the name as not available. And a search of the internic whois shows the domain in REDEMPTIONPERIOD...

Registrar: DOMAINPEOPLE, INC.
Updated Date: 27-may-2004
Creation Date: 19-apr-2002
Expiration Date: 19-apr-2004

>>> Last update of whois database: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 08:19:20 EDT <<<
It dropped according to whois.sc on 18 or 19 June I think.

So what do you think? Should I go ahead and register with web.com or hostway? Or will that be a waste of time because the domain isn't really available yet? Or is internic slower to update than whois.sc (several days :shock: )?

Another domain I was waiting for dropped today according to whois.sc and I was able to register it through namecheap right away.

Thanks for any advice :) .

I would suggest trying to register it with any company if you really want the domain.
Once you register it, you can then transfer it to namecheap or any other registrar that you want.
It will cost an extra year reg, but you normally get the extra year so it is free to transfer really.

That is probably one of the best ways to make sure you get it if some registrars are showing it as available.

Hope that helps
John

Yes many of those companies will show it as available but when you actually get into the registration process they will decline it if it really isn't available. Never hurts to just try it and as John said if you don't like the company it is registered with then just transfer it.

I did think of trying to register it with the whois.sc registrar but when I searched forums, I found a few negative comments about them so I was reluctant to try them. And trying a couple of others always showed it as not available.

In the end I missed out. It was still PENDINGDELETE even though it showed as available on whois.sc. Then it finally showed as PENDINGDELETE on whois.sc for a couple of days and then it showed as registered at buydomains.com. The registration date was a day or two earlier than it showed up on whois.sc. It seems they react slowly to changes in the registry, does that make sense?

And even if I had backordered it, I wouldn't have got it anyway I think. Don't buydomains.com operate their own registrar or something that can catch names as they drop before anyone else gets a look in?