The Time Has Come: Google Now Marking Non-Secure Sites

easyhostmedia

Phase 1 of Google’s Plan to Mark Non-Secure Sites

The release of Google Chrome 53 saw the first phase implemented in Google's long-term vision of HTTPS becoming the internet standard. Eventually, every single website without SSL will have a red warning symbol with "Not Secure" next to it within the Chrome environment. For now, Chrome is marking all non-secure sites with an information radial that further explains a website has no encryption. This will go a step further starting in January of 2017 for websites with password or credit card fields. Be sure and click the link below to hear it straight from Google

More Info Here.

Interesting timeline that Google proposes. I have no issue with sites that use passwords or those that collect credit card information being flagged, but every site, I think is overkill.

I guess they are also promoting the Letsencrypt Free SSL usage so that every sites will become https:// soon

Interesting timeline that Google proposes. I have no issue with sites that use passwords or those that collect credit card information being flagged, but every site, I think is overkill.

this is why companies like Let's Encrypt have suddenly sprung up to the front

Agreed. Seems very over the top.

Google seem to be making the rules.

other things google have done recently

1) stopped offering Google Checkout
2) stopped offering Google Wallet
3) If you use scripts or processes that use the Unity Platform then you cant use Google Chrome as Google stopped supporting this.
4) Java and Flash use in Google Chrome are restricted
5) now they want all websites to have SSL certificates

I would say Google are getting too big for their boots

Not really they've been pushing for SSL for ages, people have had to force SSL before to keep their page rating, but it didn't effect many and there's Lets Encrypt and SNI nowadays there's no excuses.

But it will be nice to see if forced as a lot of people don't force you to use Https unless you do it manually.

Not really they've been pushing for SSL for ages, people have had to force SSL before to keep their page rating, but it didn't effect many and there's Lets Encrypt and SNI nowadays there's no excuses.

But it will be nice to see if forced as a lot of people don't force you to use Https unless you do it manually.

SNI only allows you to place an SSL on your domain without the need of a dedicated IP, but it is still recommended to get a dedicated IP as issues still arise around SNI.

we have a wildcard SSL, so that all our servers run under SSL hostnames, sometimes you goto a website on the server that has its own SSL, but the browsers will try and read the SSL for the hostname, so you get the SSL warning notice