Stupid question?

HostOX

Been looking around and considering an idea.

Could you build a datacenter in a warehouse / storage space unit? Sort of like the big metal storage unit with tons of floor space, just floor space.
Has it been done before?

I thought of building a inside wall with breeze blocks for extra security, and then secure outside etc, locked gates electronic - CCTV and so forth.
Do you think it is even possible?

Kind of like http://media.rightmove.co.uk/86k/85...ree_Business_Park_IMG_03_0000_max_620x414.jpg

Last edited:
Been looking around and considering an idea.

Could you build a datacenter in a warehouse / storage space unit? Sort of like the big metal storage unit with tons of floor space, just floor space.
Has it been done before?

I thought of building a inside wall with breeze blocks for extra security, and then secure outside etc, locked gates electronic - CCTV and so forth.
Do you think it is even possible?

Kind of like http://media.rightmove.co.uk/86k/85...ree_Business_Park_IMG_03_0000_max_620x414.jpg

yes, you can. i have even read of companies that will provide modular DCs ready to go that can be placed inside such units

I see no reason why not.
The space isn't really the issue. It's the availability of services and security.

Power back up.
Flood and weather protection.
Integrity of the incoming lines.

These are the things I would think would be of most concern rather than the actual space.
There might be issues with adjoining spaces though.

I see - I thought it was possible myself.

Thanks for the feedback then, I will look into it more - From what I see it is a big possibility.

There is indeed a lot more to think about, but the first question was would that sort of space be ideal.

I see no reason why not.
The space isn't really the issue. It's the availability of services and security.

Power back up.
Flood and weather protection.
Integrity of the incoming lines.

These are the things I would think would be of most concern rather than the actual space.
There might be issues with adjoining spaces though.

Exactly what I was thinking as well. It's not that it can't be done, but datacenters are powerful beasts which need protection and service.

If I was looking at hosting any services, the data center they physical equipment is located in is one of the most important considerations to make

There are plenty of DCs built in exactly that manner with a warehouse type unit filled with modular units - we are one, another example in the UK might be the Capgemini Merlin data centre in Swindon. Modular can mean either the container type units which got a lot of publicity recently or larger more permanent building in building units, almost like a prefab construction. We use both types, from AST who supplied IBM with their containerised units, their indirect free-air cooling is superb and works really well for us, giving us an annual PUE of 1.15 if I remember right.

There's a marketing intro video here <<Mod note: URL snipped>>. The container unit is the one that looks like two containers on top of one another (obviously!) and you can also see a larger modular unit which holds about 50 racks, it's the unit with the big colourful print on the side.

Frankly, the building is almost immaterial - all it provides is weatherproofing and enough buffer space around it to be able to put in all the necessary physical security features. The key is bandwidth and power availability, if you can sort these then the rest is easy.

Happy to answer any questions anyone has about these types of data centres.

I messed up and posted a marketing intro to our facility - apologies. What I was trying to show was the type of modular infrastructure which gets used in the types of buildings the OP was talking about - here's an equivalent marketing intro to the Capgemini facility in Swindon, UK which uses non-container modular units - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ommuxoKxoA.

It's not the building or space that is the issue. You need to consider good connectivity, storm protection etc.

- Daniel :)

I know a guy who built one out of an old post office. It took a lot of work to transform it into a data center but it's great now. He had to completely redo the electrical work, restructure the roof with additional supports, add raised floors, and install security equipment and CCTVs.
As long as the local connectivity is there and power grid can support it, I suppose you could build a data center almost anywhere.

I know a guy who built one out of an old post office. It took a lot of work to transform it into a data center but it's great now. He had to completely redo the electrical work, restructure the roof with additional supports, add raised floors, and install security equipment and CCTVs.
As long as the local connectivity is there and power grid can support it, I suppose you could build a data center almost anywhere.

That's intriguing, how big was it? Maybe I'm just thinking of quaint old English countryside post offices, but wouldn't that be a really small facility? Did he operate it as a colo with customers or was it a corporate job?

That's intriguing, how big was it? Maybe I'm just thinking of quaint old English countryside post offices, but wouldn't that be a really small facility? Did he operate it as a colo with customers or was it a corporate job?

It's a colo facility about 6,000sqft and was certainly a larger post office. The facility was for large trucks and industrial equipment rather than the "office" side of the postal service.

You can't even tell it was a post office prior to being a data center. It looks like it was originally built as a data center (which is good IMO)

It's a colo facility about 6,000sqft and was certainly a larger post office. The facility was for large trucks and industrial equipment rather than the "office" side of the postal service.

You can't even tell it was a post office prior to being a data center. It looks like it was originally built as a data center (which is good IMO)

That makes sense - I guess it was just the picture in my head of an ivy covered country cottage post office that jarred!

I guess it shows anything is possible!

Dont worry about physicall structure too much..
What you need to take into account is logical systems and network availablities.
If you can provide a clean, cold, secure place with high availablity and fault tolerance, why not?
In fact, floor space would seem to be one of the possible options.