Student Hosting

Forum4Hosts-Jo

I am considering offering a student discount on webhosting and domain names of say 15%
I woul require some form of student ID to apply the discount, but after having a couple of customers leaving because they say they are poor students, i have decided that student discount and monthly payment could be a way forward.
Does anyone else offer discounts to students? Any success? or problems, i realise students arent the easiest people to get to part with their money but its strictly on a payment upfont basis.
I have heard that advertising in student magazines is a good way to get customers, as well as flyers etc. Any other good ideas?

Hmm. good idea, it has potential but it is very open to fraud as you are not meeting the customer face to face.

It sounds a bit risky, but go for it!

I don't know of any other hosts that do this sorta thing, so i'd go for it if i was you.

However, if you get their student id, how can you check it ? They could easily make it up...

just my 2 cents. :rolleyes:

I know there is studenthosting.com, not sure how they work out who's a student though.

BTW I like the new skin, very flash! ;)

Don't offer hosting to students but host about 3/4 million student email accounts on behalf of a client. :D

I myself did think about offering student hosting, but never actualy got round to doing it.

The only way I could think of making sure they were students was creating a online form/letter that they print out take to there school/college/uni etc and getting a member of staff to fill in there school/collage/uni name and phone number, along with the members of staffs name.

With this info you are then able to ring the school/college/uni up and just ask for confirmation that the person who has aplied for the hosting does actualy attend.

But then i thought what about confidentiality problems would they be able to confirm that the student does actualy attend there school/college/uni.

O'well if any has anything further to add about this feel free :)

Paperwork would most probably discourage a student and cause them to look for cheaper hosting elsewhere

Lots of industries offer student discounts and usually ask for some type of School ID before the discount is applied.

Although advertising in university daily papers is fairly cheap and you could reach a lot of students that way.

The university I attend has over 30 thousand students and almost everyone reads the daily newspaper. An ad in a place like this could be good exposure (although not everyone looks at the ads, a large number of people do).

Don't most students receive a University email address when they enroll?
You could require the sign up to come from their school email.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tombarko8