Softlayer's Youtube Channel

hostmything

They guys at Softlayer are the best. I came across their YouTube channel a few weeks ago.

http://www.youtube.com/user/softlayer

They have some pretty interesting videos. I love how universal everything from their racks to cable management is throughout their family of datacentres. If you have some free time, watch some of their videos.

+1 to Softlayer. Ingenious PR via their YouTube channel

Thanks for sharing the link to their channel..
I loved liquidwebs youtube videos , seen all of them time for a new data centers youtube channel :)

They must have some very good videos and its cool how they let you see their whole network / business. and they way they do their things.

While it is great to see a company utilizing YouTube and giving everyone a visual, my understanding of it is that if you do something, do it right. They need to get professional host, camera man and sound people to make it visually attractive. You are only going to give 1 tour, so why not make it as attractive as possible.

While it is great to see a company utilizing YouTube and giving everyone a visual, my understanding of it is that if you do something, do it right. They need to get professional host, camera man and sound people to make it visually attractive. You are only going to give 1 tour, so why not make it as attractive as possible.

See, I like the "homeyness" of the video. I really think it provides the customer with a more personalized experience. You really get to know some of the staff there, as well as how they operate. The guys at softlayer look like they have lots of good times in addition to owning some one of the most reputable datacenters in the world.

Don't get me wrong, you can use the employees themselves as hosts. But the production process still fails with camera and sound work. For me those are important elements in perceiving the information.

Those are nice videos. It's always nice to see how other datacenters do things. Maybe I can convince our datacenter guys to do something like that. Most places don't permit cameras without permission.

Those are nice videos. It's always nice to see how other datacenters do things. Maybe I can convince our datacenter guys to do something like that. Most places don't permit cameras without permission.

but as it was their own DC, then permissions would not have been needed, but rather than have someone from the marketing department with a video camera with a built in mic, the money softlayer would be making it would have been better to get a professional camera crew to shot the videos

but as it was their own DC, then permissions would not have been needed, but rather than have someone from the marketing department with a video camera with a built in mic, the money softlayer would be making it would have been better to get a professional camera crew to shot the videos
If they host servers other than their own, as most data centers do, then they would need permission to film them - and they don't always get that permission.

If they host servers other than their own, as most data centers do, then they would need permission to film them - and they don't always get that permission.

not if they just keep to their own racks, but still best to get a professional team in to film and sound or if you film it yourself employ a professional editor to edit the film