Site5.com accumulate bandwidth review

Tong

I had test drive with site5.com for 10 days.
Features are work as they said.

Pros.

1. Accumulate bandwidth rollover up to 12 months.
2. Real 30 days money back.

Cons.

1. Can't use w, top, wget, lynx and etc. in SSH.
2. Support staff look like only working in daytime.
You can see the support loading number are pending at night.
3. NetAdmin control is a mod from Cpannel and doesn't better.
Original Cpanel v9.x is best.
4. SSL in NetAdmin is invalid root certificated.

sorry for my poor english.

Tong said:
(snip...)

Cons.

1. Can't use w, top, wget, lynx and etc. in SSH.
2. Support staff look like only working in daytime.
You can see the support loading number are pending at night.
3. NetAdmin control is a mod from Cpannel and doesn't better.
Original Cpanel v9.x is best.
4. SSL in NetAdmin is invalid root certificated.

(...snip)

I'm a newcomer to Site5 and noticed this review. I felt I needed to add some comments to this review...

Item 2. I understand what you're saying about the support load status that shows up on their site, but they DO work at night. I'm in the same time zone as Site5 (Pacific coast, USA) and have received very VERY prompt email support at 11:00pm at night, with responses from technically competant people. Problems were resolved after several email exchanges - total time involved wasn't more than 20 minutes.

Item 3. I actually like their mod of the CPanel. The original CPanel that everyone else uses gives me the creeps!

Item 4. I *believe* the secure netadmin is not really "invalid root certified", it's just that you're accessing the secure netadmin through your own domain name, using Site5's shared SSL certificate. The "invalid certificate" message just comes up because the domain or the certificate doesn't match the domain you're accessing.

Anyway... just thought I'd add my 2cents worth. I've only been with Site5 for a week, but they've already impressed me with the support and service. Waaaaaaay better than my previous host.

-Kurt

Thank you for the explanations. Who was your previous host? Can you share your website with us?

ldcdc said:
Thank you for the explanations. Who was your previous host? Can you share your website with us?

Previous host was Omnis Networks. I was with them for over 2 years with three different sites. (One I managed for a non-profit; two were mine.) While they *were* a reliable host with rather meager/non-technical customer support, their attitude towards their customers as of late has been nothing to write home about... to say the least.

While I had already decided to find another host for compounding reasons, this last weekend hammered home the decision: they had a MySQL server failure, coupled with a lack of backup tapes for 5 weeks worth of data (!!!!), coupled with a supposed local power outage that kept all their servers offline for about 4 hours over the weekend! And this is a company that advertises "nightly backups" and "diesel generator backup power" among other things.

A bunch of people hosting there lost some good sized $$. Guess that brings home the rule of not relying on your host to backup your data. I'm not running a dbase, so I wasn't bothered, except for the downtime - which irked me enough since this is a busy season, even for little ol' me. But there are a bunch of folks over there talking class-action lawsuit.

While what happened was terrible, and showed a total lack of competance on the part of Omnis, I don't necessarily see that they did anything that breaks their "Terms of Service." As usual, hosts are not ultimately responsible for backups, keeping their sites up when the power is down, blah blah blah. While it's good business practice to actually provide what you advertise, it's not criminal if you end up excluding those items in the Terms of Service. Lesson to all - read the fine print!

Anyway... my meager site is listed below. My DNS changes are still working their way through the system, so you might see my old site at Omnis. If so, don't complain to me if it's slow or offline! :rolleyes:

-Kurt
www.LegendOfTheSandDollar.com

From my own experience I know Site5.com as a solid and good web hosting business. Support was always good and quick. They always kept an eye on the overall performance of the servers.

I even interviewed Matt Lightner from Site5 a while back and had a very good impression of how business is done at Site5.com.

If you are not happy with them - contact them with your concerns. I am sure they will try to make everything work for you.

Christoph