Shoutcast, is it still popular?

cat5

Hi,

I'm in the middle of configuring a few servers and just reached this hurdle when going to sort the Shoutcast one out.

Is it still as popular as a few years back? I previously used to provide Shoutcast streams, cast control licenses, auto dj and the works! However I'm seeing less offers recently which has lead me to think the trend has changed?

Don't really want to set the server & billing out for a product that is considered dead as it would just be another area for me to keep updated and secure.

Thanks

Hi,

I'm in the middle of configuring a few servers and just reached this hurdle when going to sort the Shoutcast one out.

Is it still as popular as a few years back? I previously used to provide Shoutcast streams, cast control licenses, auto dj and the works! However I'm seeing less offers recently which has lead me to think the trend has changed?

Don't really want to set the server & billing out for a product that is considered dead as it would just be another area for me to keep updated and secure.

Thanks

dont see any mention of shoutcast much these days

dont see any mention of shoutcast much these days

That's what I was thinking, still see a few providers offering icecast too but don't see it being worth the effort. Thought shoutcast v2 might have picked up really, it's a shame as I had a good client base around this before.

I must have went through hundreds of web hosting companies websites over the last couple of years and I might have seen shoutcast offering once or twice. WHT and HD does occasionally see a shoutcast offer posted in the marketplace, but it is a miserable percentage in respect to global volume.

A more or less accurate and quick analysis would be to look at the keyword search history.

"shoutcast hosting"
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=shoutcast hosting

"shoutcast"
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=shoutcast

"shoutcast streaming"
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=shoutcast streaming

Safe to say it isn't worth spending hours of your week supporting and promoting a dying niche product.

I must have went through hundreds of web hosting companies websites over the last couple of years and I might have seen shoutcast offering once or twice. WHT and HD does occasionally see a shoutcast offer posted in the marketplace, but it is a miserable percentage in respect to global volume.

A more or less accurate and quick analysis would be to look at the keyword search history.

"shoutcast hosting"
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=shoutcast hosting

"shoutcast"
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=shoutcast

"shoutcast streaming"
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=shoutcast streaming

Safe to say it isn't worth spending hours of your week supporting and promoting a dying niche product.

Didn't think about doing a keyword search, that was a great idea.

Unless online radio would be a better term to call it. I will take a look into a few different types and see what pops up. I'd hazard a guess most people wouldn't even know what shoutcast is these days.

with the age of mobile phones/phablets/tablets people have no need for shoutcast services these days

I'd have thought with this it would have increased demand rather than decreased with implementation of a stream via an app. Surely people would be more likely to tune in via an app rather than going directly to the webpage, even with it running in the background so they can do other tasks.

Strange how technology changed it all so quickly! DAB radio might have been another factor too help kill if off too I would think?

I think that with an abundance free on-demand streaming services where you get to discover any music at all (Spotify, Soundcloud, YouTube, etc), across any connected device, the need for amateur (or advanced) Shoutcast streaming services, where you have no control, is dwindling.

Even the regular radio is under pressure today from satellite radio (for the same reason - no control) and satellite is under pressure of streaming services like the ones I mentioned above. The landscape indeed changes too fast. :)

I think that with an abundance free on-demand streaming services where you get to discover any music at all (Spotify, Soundcloud, YouTube, etc), across any connected device, the need for amateur (or advanced) Shoutcast streaming services, where you have no control, is dwindling.

Even the regular radio is under pressure today from satellite radio (for the same reason - no control) and satellite is under pressure of streaming services like the ones I mentioned above. The landscape indeed changes too fast. :)

True, I suppose even the likes of Facebook and YouTube live would have had an impact. Any small time producers/djs can simply press a button on their phone now rather than typing a stream ip, password, stream name & setup a playlist.

Although I do miss winamp and the llama sound clip that came with it! Ah nostalgia.

Oh tell me about it. I used to run an online radio station, even won a fan favorite prize for it. Feels like 45 years ago though haha

i know licensepal still offer WHMSonic (shoutcast admin)

Wasn't even aware of that and I have a few different licenses with them.

Did just check whmsonic website and it appears they haven't updated the buy page since August 2016 (Still shows an offer valid until then) their da plugin/sonic panel they were working on years ago is still non existent.

Scpanel seems to have vanished from the scene altogether also. I remember those being a big player previously.

Wasn't even aware of that and I have a few different licenses with them.

Did just check whmsonic website and it appears they haven't updated the buy page since August 2016 (Still shows an offer valid until then) their da plugin/sonic panel they were working on years ago is still non existent.

Scpanel seems to have vanished from the scene altogether also. I remember those being a big player previously.

also last tweet was Jan. 30 2016

also last tweet was Jan. 30 2016

So it was.

Tad off-topic but I checked into master reseller software recently and noticed deasoft whm reseller still looks identical to a decade ago.

I fired them an email out of curiosity and did get a response from Brett Deason letting me know it's still in production along with their own billing system (Whmexec) they started advertising years ago.

Could be interesting when it launches, he didn't specify a date to me however it is currently in active beta.

So it was.

Tad off-topic but I checked into master reseller software recently and noticed deasoft whm reseller still looks identical to a decade ago.

I fired them an email out of curiosity and did get a response from Brett Deason letting me know it's still in production along with their own billing system (Whmexec) they started advertising years ago.

Could be interesting when it launches, he didn't specify a date to me however it is currently in active beta.

so you woke Brett up, lucky to get a reply. yes i have WHMReseller, but i purchased a lifetime licence years ago. he was pushed Whmexec then and still no further forward.
but also like whmphp who where going to bring out their own billing platform, still waiting

Last edited:
so you woke Brett up, lucky to get a reply. yes i have WHMReseller, but i purchased a lifetime licence years ago. he was pushed Whmexec then as still no further forward.
but also like whmphp who where going to bring out their own billing platform, still waiting

I must have as I've just checked the website http://whmexec.com seems he updated it the day after he replied to me with a release date of 2018 and 95% completion.