Shell Hosting vs Web Hosting

GordyMac

Do you do webhosting or IRC Shell hosting?
How did you decide what you were going to sell?
Did you pick it because it would do better or was cheaper to start?

I think IRC shells make more myself, simply because there are far too many Webhosts out there already.

If you have an IRC Shell company in a good datacenter outside of California, I am sure you will do great, as long as you have good quality, good prices and good support.

If you let your clients know you are not out of California, you should do really well.

I myself do both IRC Shells and Webhosting services and I find I get more sales with Shells than I do with the webhosting part of the company.

I only do web hosting.
I decided to do that simply because i knew what i was doing for web hosting and had some experience in it already.
I havent done any IRC hosting and dont know how anything works on the server side so its just not logical for me to offer that to others when I dont even know what Im doing myself.

I think you would make more through shell now because the web hosting market is far too populated, especially with hundreds of people on very small reseller accounts just out to make a bit of extra money that dont know how it all works.
I think you have to know at least a bit about how hosting works before you should get into it.

I would be interested in offering IRC shells but I would like to get a bit of experience with them myself first.

These days, there are far too many IRC hosts with servers inside California, in the same one or two datacenters and people don't like to link more than a couple servers from the same DC if that much for stability reasons.

Also when your network is made up of things like:
server.ca.us.domain.com
server2.ca.us.domain.com
server3.ca.us.domain.com

It does not look the best.

As well as ping times from California would not be so great to Europe and places over that way.

Although, our server is California and we are still doing unbelievably good, but I think if we had a server of the same quality outside of California we would do even better.

Some yes, because of stability issues, if all your servers are in one location, and say a power outage, your whole network is down instead of 1 or 2 servers. Also for ping times to remain low it is good to have servers all over the world.

Well there are a few things you need to look at.. does you host allow IRC? does it have SSH enabled?

To do shell hosting you need to be ALLOWED IRC access and SSH access. If you don't have SSH access you might be able to do it, but it would be really really hard if at all possible. If your host does not allow IRC access, no you can't.

I used to do IRC related hosting.... but you will find out in the near future why I stepped away from that business. it is good money... I had 2 irc servers up in california, was making about $400 off each machine. Then I went through one hell of a shitstorm.... about a 100mbit packet attack for 27 hours straight... ended up nullrouting 9 IPs between those 2 days and burned a ton of bandwidth.... and let me tell you Globix (with Global crossing/Internap backbone providers) charged us $2.25 per GB of data.... that cost us an arm and a leg. Since then I have never dealt with IRC again. It causes too many packet attacks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tombarko8