Protecting your site and its data

SenseiSteve

HD Moderator
Staff member
Firewalls are an essential element in protecting your site and its data from malicious attacks. Two very popular WordPress plugins addressing this are WordFence and Anti-Malware Security and Brute-Force Firewall. Which do you prefer and why? Or what other plugin do you prefer?

If you are looking for a comprehensive security solution with features like a web application firewall, real-time threat defense, and in-depth security reporting, Wordfence may be a better choice. Also note that it is widely used plugin.

But my primary choice has been Anti-Malware Security and Brute-Force Firewall. In my experience, it has been very good for my WP site when it comes to malware scanning and protection against brute-force attacks.
Hope this helps you.

We're big fans of Wordfence. While the paid version is what we advise to many of our clients, the free version does a pretty good job. Of course, going one extra step and blocking any attack before hitting the site is always helpful, and for that Cloudflare comes into play. Given how many people use Cloudflare, they've been successful at gathering IPs for nefarious actors and blocking them before even hitting the site/server. We use Wordfence and Cloudflare together on a number of sites.