Profit from a reseller account?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum4Hosts-Jo

Ok so most people start with resellers and move on to dedicateds these days, what i want to know is when people charge such low prices how do they get the money to get their first server, especially if its not a $99 rackshack server?

I think most people have another method of supplementing their income during startup phase - eg Web Development. That's what we did in my last company, although we didn't start as resellers (i don't think there were any reseller accounts on Windows back then).

Im going through this atm.

Dedi's are fine, although a bit restrictive hence the reason I went straight into colo with redbus. That way I can preform maintainance tasks with my engineers and not someone elses - which means if the server develops a fault it wont get sorted ASAP. I also cant put in the spec I want with dedi's.

Rules: http://www.hostingdiscussion.com/rules.php
3.4 Participants may not post or otherwise transmit promotional materials, or any other form of solicitation, except in those forum sections where advertising is expressly permitted.

Hi Andrew - We're in Meridian Gate - which one are you in and what do you think?
Cheers - Mark

I'll definately be interested too, Andy. Keep us posted. :wink:

Cant really post more info on these forums, as the mods dont like it (it would annoy me too). If you are intrested though, pop an e-mail to support@agccworld.co.uk and someone will keep you in the loop :)

Have you guys thought of getting a co-operative together? You might be surprised at how cheaply it could be done.

Personally - our company wouldn't need to but i'd certainly be able to assist in some way.

Very simple logic.

$40 for linux reseller plan of 1 GB.
In 1 GB you can host atleast 50 domains with the 20 mb space.
Each domain you charge $5 per month.... Means.. $250 per month.
You have clear profit of $210 per month per 1 reseller account.

Simple logic.

Jim

That doesnt take into account other costs though, such as merchant account monthly fees and %ages and any other costs, what if you need someone to help with support? they need paying too.

You are right.

All those cost could be divided into 3 parts.

1. Reseller Plan Cost.
2. Marketign and merchant account cost
3. Administrative cost (like support, etc..)

You can sumup above 3 costs and count your cost per account.

Then you can sell your accounts according to that.

However, our main question is... Dedicated server v/s reseller plan.

So, all the cost above will be in the Dedicated server as well as reseller plan also.

Jim

I said it's the experienced. I guess you start out as a reseller like $20 a month for 1 gig of space, and 20 gig of transfer. Anyone can afford $20 dollars a month. Just cancel your cell phone, if you can't afford it :) You can offer a lot of sites for that. This would give you a tatse of what it takes to support, where to get customers, and how to get customers. Once you get that down, it's a matter of going big. Also, this would allow you to setup your site, and all you have to do is transfer the site once you have the server, do not have to watse time sign up a server, and then design it.

HOpe this will help

Reselling can be profitable if you play your cards right. Before I moved to dedicated servers I actually had 4-5 reseller accounts. A lot of benefits came out of this, for me. Now I am onto dedicated servers and I do not regret moving to them as I am doing just as well

Well tell me who would buy a acount of 20mb for 5buxs that is way to cheap heck my free hosting is 5Gigs so i don't think anyone would want asuch a low resller.
So buy resellers from cheaper companies.
Always get from someone atleast 10GB for $25 a month
**************.com provides 100gb space 1tb badnwidth for 40 a month so i would condisder choosing ur company

Wow, this thread was resting for almost a year when IsaacNR decided he had something to add to it. Let's put it to rest. :)

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.