practicing webdesigner interested in hosting biz but doesn't know how

Travs

Hi! I've searched the entire forum and it seems there's no post yet with regards to Reseller Hosting Business for Newbies.

I'm a practicing webdesigner and I seem to get interested with this webhost reselling gigs. I really wanna learn the How's and What's of being a reseller. And also I don't have any idea on those configuration stuff you guys talk about on the other thread.

For my first question, what do i need to know before taking a step into this business?

You will need to become familiar with whatever control panel you choose. Cpanel/WHM is generally accepted as the easiest to learn and use.
Do a lot of research. Read forums and articles.
The Whir is a good source.
Most importantly choose your host well. Don't go for the lowest bidder. If you do not only will your site have problems so will your clients'. Make sure the host you choose has excellent customer service because you will be relying on him/her for a lot of your own customer service issues.

Listen to his advice Travs, he knows what he's talking about. That's a nice site that was recommended.

When you are just starting out and don't know a whole lot, besides reading up on various sites and forums you would probably want a host who gives exceptional support to newbies like yourself. There are some hosts who don't like to hold the hands of newbies. Others simply offer cheaper rates and it's not cost effective for them to sit there with you while you learn. If you have to pay a few bucks extra for the better support, go for it.

I agree. You should look to see how soon you can get in touch with your host: whether you have to email them and wait 24 hours or whether someone is available on ICQ,AIM,MSN, etc.. At least that way you know whether you will be able to converse with them in real time, should you run into a problem or have any questions.

Oh didn't you know...we get a 5% commission for doing this...

...somebody didn't read the forum rules...:D j/k....

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tombarko8