Mosso - your opinion.

Artashes

Administrator
Staff member
I have recently came across a very interesting platform http://www.mosso.com/

From the looks of it, it is an extremely user-friendly environment, and looks like is designed for small shops (local markets) and entrepreneurs/design companies who can place their clients on the system. For the price, the offering is very attractive. As if the industry entry cost just got down to $100.

What's your view on Mosso.com? Does it have enough muscle to do damage? I am not very "technical", so feature-wise, not really sure if they are missing on something important for "average" consumer.

Best,

Good features but we already offer Linux/Windows to our customers so does that put us ahead of the game? ;)

I still wonder why they are offering such a cheap package. Well, their control panel still lack of several features, but hey, it's RackSpace *superstructure* behind them, and that comes at a price.

Another company I can think of offering the same concept is Hostopia - BlueGenesis, and their packages are way more expensive.

And I can't help wondering whether they are targeting the right market. Not every web designer / reseller has the $100/month for their package, specially when there are several hosting providers offering cheap reseller packages. And, on the other hand, if you ask me, I wouldn't put a critical-mission web site on their platform because of two main reasons:

1. I wouldn't trust a critical-mission web site to a $100/mo provider.

2. Yes, they have a cluster, rock-solid network, several high availability configurations in place, etc, but it's still a shared environment and something could go wrong if one of your neighbors go wrong.

Even though, I think they have brilliant staff to make this venture succeed and I hope their business & marketing plan is as good as one can expect.

Just my thoughts about it.

Regards,

Jaime

Very cool idea - people who really care about their mission critical websites are bound to go for something like this. Very good find!

Roj

niyogi said:
people who really care about their mission critical websites are bound to go for something like this

IMHO, just the opposite, as I previously said. I would never trust a mission critical web site or application to something like this. Hey, this is still a shared environment and someone else (another web site, I mean) might be able to screw up your uptime. :rolleyes2

Regards,

Jaime

I'm fairly certain that they have some resource usage measures in place to solve these kinds of problems. The one thing that I would be concerned about is DDoS attacks (which clusters don't fare well in defending themselves against)

Roj