Looking for a good web host

Caesar

Hell to all..

I am leader of my gaming clan (http://spqr.gamer.hr) and,beacuse of growth of teammembers,request for new downloads,we starting to find new host provider for our web. Till now, we have 100 mb free web host with unlimited traffic. Now we need:

min 1,5 gb disk space
Linux/Unix
PHP
mySQL
min 7 GB data transfer per month
cheaper than 5$ per month
registering domain name (costs - how much?)

As you see above, we will put PHP nuke scriptis on it.We have avg 500 hits per day on our web.

Thank you in advance

Best regards

Caesar

Hi there,

2Gb Disk Space
20Gb Bandwidth
$5 per Month

Domain Registration: $5 per Year (From Ev1servers.net)

You will be hosted on:
Pentium(R) 4 2.4Ghz
1024Mb DDR Ram
Server IP: 216.10.20.16
Datacenter: VDI.net *New Jersey/US*
Speed Test: 216.10.20.16/~admin/map_pack1.zip

Offer ends 31st of Oct 2003

Contact us via support@*************** or
MSN: support@*************** (Live Chat!)

We provide excellent support, and fast response.

Mike P.

Frozen Web Hosting could offer that account to you for $3.99 per month. Contact me with the information in my signature if you're interested, thanks :)

i can offer you 2.0gigs space 8gigs bw php,ftp,cPanel,mysql for um lets say 4.00 a month.drop by my site or email me or contact me by msn or aim or yahoo please.

So you guys are able to provide 2GB of space for 4 bucks a month?!

Overselling has gotten WAY out of hand!

30GB HDD = 15 Accounts @ $4/mo = $60
40GB HDD = 20 Accounts @ $4/mo = $80
60GB HDD = 30 Accounts @ $4/mo = $120

Now, you're going to tell me that you are making a profit, plus paying for a descent server all for 60 bucks a month?! Keep in mind, the figures above don't take into account the amount of space needed for an OS, email, and control panel... that's rediculous. Everyone who has posted in this thread is making a horrible name for the webhosting industry.

Makes me sick.

DreamStudios, I'm not sure where you lead with your post (since you represent a hosting company yourself), but from what I see, he might have more than 15 or 30 people on one server. And if he is serving 60 people on a server that require 120GB space and 480 GB BW for $240, he is making a profit if a dedicated server cost him less than $100 per month.

What if he owns a server? Anyway, you obviously do not have enough information to draw any conclusion, so please, with no proof or facts, avoid making such claims.

Thank you very much in advance.

DreamStudios, I have no idea who you are but if you wish to draw attention to yourself and your company, be careful what you wish for.
You complain about a competitor overselling when you are obviously badly overselling yourself.

You offer 500gb transfer/month for $59.95 -15% for a new sign up, and you talk about someone else overselling? That comes out to roughly $51.00/month.
Since you appear to be with RackShack I'll give you the benifit of the doubt and say you are leasing the Unmetered 10mbps server. At $51.00 per account you could sell 6 500gb accounts for $306.00. Since RackShack (EV1) charge $349.00+ tax for that server I would suggest that you are indeed guilty of overselling.

You claim to have 99.998% uptime on your site. Do you have proof of this? How long of a period does this cover?

You misrepresent you server status by posting a gif image on your front page showing all services green.

You should think twice about making this type of post. Especially since it is your first.

....Or, I know that I have mutiple servers and on average I get 1 of the 500GB signups for every 75-80 lower plans, meaning, on a 700GB metered bandwidth server, I still have 200GB to allocate with the 10 and 25GB plans.

Bandwidth is easy to oversell however, I didn't mention anything about bandwidth, I know many people that charge enough in their plans to actually PAY for the overage in bandwidth. I am setup the same way, I charge enough to pay for the overage in bandwidth.

Now, space on the other hand is something that should not be as oversold as in this thread, notice I sell 100MB for 5.95 a month, they are selling over 1 GB for that much.

Tough to swap a hard drive... not tough to buy more bandwidth.

My point is made, I'm not going to argue with the companies out there that give the industry a bad reputation, I hear every day from hundreds of clients that their last company screwed them because they advertised 2GB of space and when they used more than 50MB the host said... get out and cited a stupid rule in their TOS... now, I'll be the first to admit that my own TOS limits my customers to a certain extent, however, even my sites that consume 1GB plus (actual used space) I have never had a need to kick off a client... because I don't outrageusouly oversell my servers.

Quality over Quantity... and Buyer Beware.

My server status is actually a script that resides offsite and does a port check every 5 minutes, I can even demonstrate this for you by taking down FTP on our testing server which would cause a green light to turn red and a link to appear with details on which server is down.

Before you talk about something you don't know about, I think you need to do some research.

99.998% uptime is 36 seconds of downtime for a server reboot on July 12, 2003. Time period of 1 year.

Keep talking though!

Before you talk about something you don't know about, I think you need to do some research.

Actually I do know. Also, overselling is overselling and you are doing it.

99.998% uptime is 36 seconds of downtime for a server reboot on July 12, 2003. Time period of 1 year.

Once again, I assume you have some proof of this.

And I will keep talking, thank you. Try not to forget it was you who opened this with your accusatory post.