JUSTIFYING IPs

Augustino

Many VPS or Resellers Plans give in yours plans more expensive, even 5 or 7 IP´s but really is easy justify these IP´s in ARIN?

Or will be better give just 2 IP´s in all resellers plans for use it for the NameServers?

As far as I'm concerned the only justification for a dedicated IP is for SSL access.
Outside of the what is the purpose?

Blue said:
As far as I'm concerned the only justification for a dedicated IP is for SSL access.
Outside of the what is the purpose?

that is pretty much ours too

on a dedicated server may be some other but not on a reseller envirment..

really is easy justify these IP´s in ARIN?
AFAIK it's not ARIN that is very restrictive. The main issue there is for the IP to be used, which is why there are actually hosts giving a dedicated IPs for each website they host.

Datacenters are more restrictive though, making sure that the IP is actually needed.

anonymous FTP may require a dedicated IP.

Sometimes resellers want a dedicated ip to mask their association with there vendor. Others times they just want a different c class from the main shared ip.

Dedicated I.P. address is needed for anonymous FTP access or if you need something like SSL. Beyond that there really isn't a need.

Apart from anonymous FTP, SSL and nameservers, dediacted IPs have two additional functions:

1. SEO: different Class C IPs with links to your site tend to be more effective,
2. If one user on the shared IP of a server is a spammer, then the shared IP gets blacklisted. If you have your own IP address, nobody can mess with it!

2. If one user on the shared IP of a server is a spammer, then the shared IP gets blacklisted. If you have your own IP address, nobody can mess with it!
Only if that will be the is the mail server IP. With shared hosting in most cases the dedicated IP will noty be used for email related purposes, so you still share the same mail IP with the other users.

In my country, our DNA (domain name authority) requires reverses on the nameservers, so a personalized web/mail/nameserver setup already uses 4 IPs.

Justification for IP Addresses are becoming more demanding especially by ARIN. I still find it hard to believe ARIN are jumping over the large allocations of Internet Service Providers such as ThePlanet or Telecommunication Corporations.

Well, I think it's a definate must to be more demanding when it comes to dedicated IPs, especially with the increased level of spam, phishing, etc.

Dedicated IPs open quite a few doors for online criminals. For this reason alone, I think increased demand for justification is...well....justified.

Keep in mind however, that I have never had an instance, or even heard of one, in which an allotment of IPs were denied by a datacenter or ARIN.

Dedicated IPs do come into play however, when it comes to spam and blacklisting. For example, some blacklists don't stop at the mail server. They also dig info on the sending domain to retrieve the IP of the domain sending the mail. They then blacklist the IP, and in most cases, the domain too.

LayeredTech (www.layeredtech.com) are pretty tough on assigning IP's to you. They follow the ARIN stuff to the letter pretty much.

For most people it isn't a problem, but, for those with the 'IP per site for SEO' idea it can cause problems - as ARIN don't really accept that as good justification ;)

ARIN can audit dc's IP records at any time - and the DC's themselves need to show ARIN they are using their ips (and how they are using them) before they can get further IP's from them. Fits in logically the DC's would then adhere to the policy.

ANMMark said:
Keep in mind however, that I have never had an instance, or even heard of one, in which an allotment of IPs were denied by a datacenter or ARIN.

I've heard of an instance where ARIN have denied allocating them a larger allocation then they needed so the company went for a /21 block instead of a /20.

I'm not sure why SEO people need multiple IP's. I've never even seen any proof that different class-C ip's even work to their advantage. Heck, I've always heard that the IP's are worthless for SEO.