Is Twitter still a good fit for the hosting industry?

SenseiSteve

HD Moderator
Staff member
If you have a business Twitter account, is it just to brand your business or something else? Is it still a good fit for the hosting industry?

We use our purely from a branding end of things. We post to it rarely, but enough that it's still considered "active" by people who stumble upon it.

I personally am not a fan of Twitter. It moves too fast for my old brain. I like to have conversations and expanded theories that twitter's character limit just can't support. I stick to Facebook and the various Forums.

Twitter seems to work really well as a complaint desk to airlines and hotels, spats and fights. I know some places use it to announce "ticket XXXXXXX has been updated" which I think is weird, but I personally haven't seen used for much else.

I cannot see Twitter being anything more than just a way to have a way to communicate with your customers and keep them informed, especially during moments of chaos, when nothing goes right. That's as far as this industry is concerned.

Attracting customers may happen, but it'll take a highly targeted approach and a lots of man hours, not sure how viable that strategy is for a hosting company.

I cannot see Twitter being anything more than just a way to have a way to communicate with your customers and keep them informed, especially during moments of chaos, when nothing goes right. That's as far as this industry is concerned.

Attracting customers may happen, but it'll take a highly targeted approach and a lots of man hours, not sure how viable that strategy is for a hosting company.

If you're regularly blogging and posting that to Twitter, I think you'll reach a demographic that wouldn't necessarily visit your website, plus there's always the possibility that they'll retweet your tweet. It really does not take that many man-hours.

If you're regularly blogging and posting that to Twitter, I think you'll reach a demographic that wouldn't necessarily visit your website, plus there's always the possibility that they'll retweet your tweet. It really does not take that many man-hours.

It's gotta be some mind-blowing content for people to re-tweet it. I feel like Twitter is so full of marketing content, that unless it's coming from a loud or famous voice, it won't get noticed among all that noise.

I find twitter is a good way to share my companies offers/news/promotions to my customers. Some people will read and notice it.

I often twit simple stuff to get my news out there :)

I use Facebook to share offers and promotions. It is not bad for hosting actually.

I also spend a small amount of money each month for Facebook Ads. The conversions is not as good as Adwords but it may attracts different segments of customers.

Haven't try twitter yet but I will try though.

I also spend a small amount of money each month for Facebook Ads. The conversions is not as good as Adwords but it may attracts different segments of customers.

Can you share a little more details about your Facebook ad run? What kind of objectives are you setting, what groups/segments are you targeting and what kind of results are you getting? Facebook is a VERY interesting use case.

I use twitter for branding purposes. I normally post promotions and coupons on my twitter account. I get some visitors coming to my site from twitter.

I get some visitors coming to my site from twitter.

Its fine getting people visiting your site from twitter, but how many convert into actual sales.

Its not good advertising on twitter and get 300 visitors from twitter and not one converts to an actual sale.

I've had mixed results with all 3 social media platforms. Facebook & twitter are just great brand awareness tools.

Why not Twitter? Twitter is one of many ways to inform about your services in accordance to the motto: 'Provide a good service, treat your customers well and let the world know about it' :)

What an incredibly well executed hack. They even somewhat captured the "tone" of those tweets, to make it sound more like it comes from the owner, which probably raised fewer questions by the fans.

I agree with one expert, however, this may just be the worst hack in the history of social media. I feel terrible for Twitter.

It was well planned and executed, not one of these fly by night hacks, they took their time doing research etc.