In need of suggestion.

Linux_monk

Hi,

How did you start your hosting business?
How did you make money to start your business?
Since my economic conditions are not good at the moment am looking for some suggestions from you all guys.

Help's appreciated.

Hi Linux Monk! Well just like any business, the very first thing you do is to advertise your business to let people know that your business exists. :)

Hi Linux_Monk, firstly I will say there is no definitive guide to starting a hosting company nor is it a get rich scheme (despite popular belief) the down to earth bit out of the way I’d do something like the following however remember to adapt it to your strengths, I myself am a programmer as such it was a logical progression.

Firstly design build and setup your website, be it on a shared hosting provider or dedicated, vps or reseller but at this point use the site as an a follow up rather than a market place. This will then allow you to hand out flyers and approach local business, not for a sale but to introduce yourself, your company and more importantly to test interest. As such low overheads are a good suggestion at this point.

During this time or beforehand do your research into whether you will use a reseller, dedicated, vps, or co-location and the subsequent costs (work out your prices and packages, have them on the site) if you think that you can drum up enough interest within the first 6 months to cover your overheads then I would proceed, more a recommendation than a rule of thumb.

After that the progression is in your hands, bridge to advertising in forums and approach your local market as much as possible, offering value added services such as SSL, Domains and Webdesign can also help in the local market, more so the third but that depends on your strengths, a.k.a are you a designer.

None the less this isn’t a definitive guide and most of us here could go on for hours but it is a good start point.

Hope that helps

Good advice Charlie. I wrote this back in March but it still applies.

Here’s a networking tip for when you’re out and about spreading the word about your new business. Instead of chatting briefly and exchanging business cards, ask this, “If I were talking to someone who needed your services, what should I say to them?” This gives them the opportunity to give you their 30 second commercial touting their business. Everyone loves to talk about themselves and their business. Then ask them for 10 of their business cards instead of one. Why? Because it says to them that you’re interested in networking with them, instead of just marketing to them directly - like every other sales rep they’ve ever met. It sets you apart.

When you think about it, everyone has a sphere of influence. When you say word of mouth is the best way to grow your business, how do you get that prospect or client to spread the word about your business? It all starts by showing an interest in their business, providing solutions that help them, and above all - great customer service. You’ll never be able to reach their sphere of influence on your own. Ask them for referrals (their sphere of influence) immediately after the sale. They’ve just said YES to your product or service. They know, like and trust you. Take it one step further. Ask them to let the person they just referred to you know that you’ll be calling.

All sales reps know that you have to ask for the sale. The same principle applies in networking - you have to ask for the referral. :)

Re:

Hello Friend,like other business you should advertise your business so people will know about your hosting business and you will get more information for hosting business.

If you want to start the business with the less amount you should try out affiliate business opportunities , once you have some money then buy a Good Reseller Hosting plan and sell the hosting plans as a web hosting company... slowly you can proceed with your plans

You will have to come up with some capital to get started. I'm not sure if there are free reseller accounts out there. So you'll at the very least have to pay for a cheap reseller account. There are some that offer free management software too, (Clientexec is popular).

Since you are a on a limited budget you'll want to look for a free domain name too, with the package.

Once you get these you can find a free template and modify it set it all up and you are ready to take orders.

Mark

Hi Linux_monk,

I will suggest you to make complete study of the hosting company, and issues related to it before stating it. Also try to get good knowledge of the technical part if you do not wish to appoint any staff.

Hi,

Since my economic conditions are not good at the moment am looking for some suggestions from you all guys.

Help's appreciated.

My advice would be start small. Purchase a good domain name, cheap SSL (Rapid SSL) and quality reseller account (more expensive but vital). You can get started in this business with very little capital but it will take more work to get customers. I started with $50/month and was able to break even 2 months in.

I saved up some money from IRL and started mine. Then all you have to do is let people know you're reliable and they can trust buying from you.

I started with a reseller account back in 2004 which cost me $10.00/mo and upgraded from there.

I was big into IRC back then so alot of my IRC friends ordered.

I started with a reseller account back in 2004 which cost me $10.00/mo and upgraded from there.

I was big into IRC back then so alot of my IRC friends ordered.

I remember the good ole days with IRC was huge. Those were the days when you had virtually unlimited people to advertise to. These days are quite different where hardly anyone uses IRC anymore if at all. Its a old technology used to communicate. Quite Sad its dying actually.

My suggestion:

If your economic condition is so bad as you say and you want to start a web hosting business, then you need to really work hard, very hard.

I suggest you go for a free reseller hosting package. Profit is less. Risk is very less. Buy a domain and buy a DNS cluster with your domain name-for credibility (it will not cost more than $30/year).

Be patient and do online and offline SEO. Market your website. Identify clients who are in need of websites and in turn web hosting. Be honest and true to them, offer them good service, request them to recommend you to some of their friends.

Grow your business and then think of buying a VPS or dedicated server to start a full fledged and independent hosting company.

It seems that most are of the same opinion. Start with a reseller account and build it up from there. The business is competitive so you will need to make sure that you market yourself across the board. Also you will want to provide excellent hands on customer service. Hang in there and grow it month by month and client by client. It may be a long road but it is a business that isn't declining.

Hello,

Below are the answers:

- started small, doing web designing.. then when we got clients we started offering web hosting.

- since we can develop our own website and started from that service from there our earnings from website development and design...

- Yes it's not that good but if you will be wanting to start web hosting company or web designing it should require a lot of hard work and you should love what you're doing, have a passion for it... because that will help you overcome the challenges as it arises.

Thanks!

You may want to read also about technical areas at the guru forums/how-to sites to have at least basic understanding about every and each area. That's pretty much important before you attend this business.

Hello,

For windows, just use an ordinary nslookup command. Ex. nslookup www.yahoo.com

If the domain is available it will show you the domain IP address.

Else it will say the domain is "Non-existent domain".

Thanks!

Hello,

For windows, just use an ordinary nslookup command. Ex. nslookup www.yahoo.com

If the domain is available it will show you the domain IP address.

Else it will say the domain is "Non-existent domain".

Thanks!

Here is a good article to read if you're planning to start your web hosting business...

http://a-web-biz.com/starting-a-web-hosting-company.htm

You can get a lot of ideas to it...

btw disregard my post above, as I type on wrong window...

Thanks!

Hi,

Help's appreciated.

We simply got it started. We dove into the business pretty quickly, though we did have a business plan and an idea of the niche we were going to target. So far so good.

The initial capital came from the owners savings, though not much was required in the initial stages as we started off with reseller plans to offer hosting, moving to our own equipment as profit built up.

I've found very little change between pre and post GFC in terms of sales. Revenue has continued to increase despite whats been happening.