How to tell if its Fraud?

Forum4Hosts-Jo

OK.

So far i have had no fraud orders at all, worldpay says if a card has been rejected etc which is nromally due to the wrong expiry date or something lik that.

How do you guys go about checking for fraud, how do you get their IP address and when you do, what do you use to check this against their info?

Im sure it sounds like a basic question but it is something i need to know before we can expand.

Thanks in advance

Hi.

You can gather IP addresses from your raw log file. We have a list of "trouble" IPs and run a check against those.

Most of the fraudulent orders we've had will contain "fishy" information, such as mismatched addresses, invalid phone numbers, free email addresses (hotmail) used in registration, etc. This isn't foolproof, of course, because sometimes there are reasons why addresses don't match (ie: Joint venture. One person pays for hosting, another person registers.)

When in doubt, you can always verify the order by telephone. We've done that a few times when things didn't seem right.

I know this is an old topic, but I am suprised that I haven't seen anyone else post on this.

You should get their IP number right on your order form. either formmail or a more robust order system, you should always gain their IP number when they put down card info.

Personally, I have found a great program to trace down IPs and make sure they are at least from the area they say...
visualroute makes a low cost program that you can put right on your desktop and trace any IP. It shows you where in the world that order came from, and if they say New York city, yet their IP traces to the middle east,, easy call there........

Also, unlike WD posted above,, I have found that most of our recent fraud orders do contain all of the corect data, and a simple phone call will let you talk to the card owner who is usually unaware of the card use. ( if the IP traces wrong). I do make those calls, and if possible, I let the people know their card info is being used by a thief on the internet so they can cancel their card.

1. get their IP on your order form - ALWAYS
2. use something like visualroute from visualroute.com to trace it back to see where that IP is from.

You have little rights as an internet merchant, so it is up to you to reduce your charge backs before they happen.

Best wishes,

Tim L