How to backup yuur website in cPanel?

harry_v

Account Disabled
We assume you've already logged in to cPanel, and are starting on the home screen.

Now let's learn how to back up our website.

1)Click the Backup Wizard icon.

2)To backup your website, click the Backup button.

You have the option of only backing up part of your account or generating a full backup, which we'll do now.

3)Click the Full Backup button.

4)Select the destination, then click Generate Backup.

That's it! We've just created a full backup to the home directory.

A full backup will create an archive of all the files and configurations on your website. You can only use this to move your account to another server, or to keep a local copy of your files. You cannot restore full backups through your cPanel interface.

1) Something is better than nothing. Ensure you choose remote backup location.

2) Having regular backup of website is important.

3) Incase site gets infected you will have to restore with last taken manual backup. Worst case, your site gets blacklisted, you hosting provider is likely to take your site offline.
You are not going to get time, restoring your site.
And also the fact, that you loose data between last manual backup and latest site content.

4) Even if you do have a cron, the backup is not going to give you details about what files have changed. Having file change summary can be very crucial to website security.

5) Never backup your site and store backup within docroot folder. They are of no help when site gets infected.
Keep backup in off site location.

Never backup your site and store backup within docroot folder. They are of no help when site gets infected.
Keep backup in off site location.
I agree 100%

The amount of times i had clients make backups and just save them in the public_html folder.

I kept telling then yes save there and they move the backup to your local PC or another backup server . Keeping the backups in your site folders will not help if we have server issues and the server goes down, but still some client wont listen and its the same with script updates.

Don't be fooled by the title of this thread. This is not a backup, by any means.

A backup means you can restore your site in case anything goes wrong. To truly be a backup, you must store this remotely, somewhere far away from your host. Whether that's your PC, or some cloud storage somewhere, this needs to be done.

Don't be fooled by the title of this thread. This is not a backup, by any means.

A backup means you can restore your site in case anything goes wrong. To truly be a backup, you must store this remotely, somewhere far away from your host. Whether that's your PC, or some cloud storage somewhere, this needs to be done.

Exactly it is just a method of doing a copy of your site files.

Don't even need a cloud storage

when i was hosting i simply purchased 2 cheap VPS in different locations and using jetbackup i backed up all client sites to one of these servers and then mirrored the backups to the other server

You can get a cpanel plugin called Jetbackup which will allow your customers to have much more flexibility in terms of backuping files and restoring them and I think if your doing a backup system the best way to do it would be to do remote backuping, it does take a bit of bandwidth but is well worth it. Also if that server gets hacked somehow, you will be able to retain a lot of your customers because you will have a remote backup which you will be able to use.

You can choose the backup option within cpanel, or there is a great app that allows you to backup your cpanel accounts to your local computer automatically daily, weekly, monthly. You can implement the jetbackup to whmcs, or you can use siteground.